n-asun

ASUN Internal Vice President Jared Long speaks during an ASUN meeting at the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed two pieces of legislation at their weekly meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 9.

Sinclaire Miramontez, president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee spoke during the open forum to begin the meeting. 

Miramontez proposed partnering with ASUN to sponsor The Bandana Project on campus in the spring to promote mental health awareness.

The Bandana Project was originally started in Wisconsin in 2015. Through the project, advocates for mental health resources tie a green bandana around their backpacks. The bandana signals to the public that the person has resource cards for mental health services on campus, according to Miramontez.

President Emily Johnson reported that she successfully approved a new date for the Student Leadership Summit, which will now take place on Tuesday, Nov. 19, in the Nebraska Union at 7:30 p.m.

Appointments Board chair Mia Hernandez reported that there will be a voter registration drive in The Crib at the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Oct. 30, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

“If you aren’t registered to vote, please come register to vote,” Hernandez said.

Environmental Sustainability Committee chair Kyle Cacciatore reported an initiative to plant trees on Friday, Oct. 18, at 8:30 a.m.

Senate passed Government Bill 17 by acclamation. Since it passed, each committee is expected to host an outreach event in the months of October or November.

Senate also passed Government Bill 18 unanimously by roll call vote, effectively putting the amendment on the ballot for spring student voting. The amendment calls for the president, internal vice president and external president to be voted upon together as a slate, instead of the current operation of voting for the external vice president separately.

The next senate meeting will take place in the Nebraska Union’s Platte River Room on Wednesday, Oct. 16, at 6:30 p.m.

This article was modified on Thursday, Oct. 10, at 11:39 a.m. to correct the date the trees will be planted.