asun

ASUN Vice President Jared Long (center) speaks during the meeting in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed one piece of legislation concerning Constitution Day during the senate body’s weekly meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 11.

President Emily Johnson announced the University of Nebraska Board of Regents’ new student group called the NU Student Alliance. According to Johnson, five students from each university in the NU system will advocate and lobby on behalf of NU. 

She said the group’s goal is to make the legislature more accessible to students by planning events, such as I Love NU Advocacy Day, and encouraging students to help advocate for NU. 

Applications for the group are open to all UNL students. According to Johnson, who will co-chair the alliance, qualified students who represent different groups on campus will be chosen. 

Additionally, Johnson submitted Government Bill 14, which moves for ASUN to host a booth on Tuesday, Sept. 17, which is Constitution Day. 

Students who visit the booth at the Nebraska Union can answer questions about the U.S. Constitution. Johnson tested the senators’ knowledge about the Constitution and asked them the 10 questions they will ask students. 

The senators laughed as they attempted to pass the test and were able to answer all the questions correctly with help from Johnson.

Senators said they appreciated the bill’s purpose and unanimously passed it. ASUN members will volunteer at the event from 10 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. and post about Constitution Day on social media. 

During open forum, senior political science and sociology double major Jackson Belva promoted ASUN’s event to raise awareness of suicide and support suicide prevention. ASUN will have a booth outside of the Nebraska Union from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 13, according to an email from speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill.

Internal vice president Jared Long and Appointments Board chair Mia Hernandez also encouraged senators to promote ASUN applications. ASUN is accepting applications for different positions until Friday, Sept. 13 at 4 p.m. Long also said ASUN is accepting applications for students to participate in the political conversation series Converge Nebraska this fall until Friday, Sept. 20. 

The next senate meeting will take place at the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Sept. 18.