Long 2.12.20

ASUN internal vice president Jared Long swings the gavel during a meeting in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Brett Bieber, director of Identity and Access Management for Information Technology Services, spoke to the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska about its bill regarding Duo Two-Factor Authentication during the open forum of ASUN’s weekly meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 12.

Government Bill 35 states that ASUN will help spread the word about Duo and encourage students to convert their own accounts before May 15, after which all university accounts will be automatically converted.

“What we’ve noticed over the last few years is that our top IT support issue is around usernames and passwords,” he said. “We want to make it easy for everyone to have the same level of security.”

Bieber said students can register more than one device as their second means of identity confirmation, but in the case they don’t have one of those devices handy, ITS will provide tokens that supply students at its help desk with a six-digit temporary code that can let them into their university accounts. The tokens will also be available for purchase through Huskertech. 

“I think it’s a good way to protect our own personal data and others at the university,” President Emily Johnson said about the bill, which passed.

Senate also passed Government Bill 36, giving I Love NU Day ASUN’s official support. According to the bill, the event will take place from 1:30-3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Mar. 10, at the Nebraska State Capitol, and attendees will have the opportunity to talk to state officials about the importance of higher education.

“It’s a day to celebrate the university but also to remind the legislature of its impact,” Johnson said.

Senate Bill 25 was also passed, meaning ASUN will help promote the Adobe Creative Cloud sessions, called Adobe Creative Jams. If at least 20 UNL students sign up for the Friday, Feb. 21 session, ASUN will help throw a pizza party to kick-off the series.

Johnson announced that feedback for the Student Code of Conduct is still being reviewed by Central Administration, and the process may be longer than ASUN anticipated.

Environmental Sustainability Committee Chair Kyle Cacciatore announced that Greeks Go Green is now a recognized student organization. He encouraged any senators with connection to Greek life to spread the word that interested sororities and fraternities can send a representative or two to the Greeks Go Green meetings.

The next ASUN meeting will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 19, in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union.