ASUN 11.13.19

ASUN meets in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed four pieces of legislation at its weekly meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 13.

Isaac Jacobs, an undeclared freshman, spoke to the senate about the proposed bill to support his Writing and Inquiry group’s service project. Government Bill 20, submitted by internal vice president Jared Long and approved by the senate, allows Jacobs to place donation boxes in ASUN’s office in the Nebraska Union. 

All donations will go to the People’s City Mission, which is dedicated to helping the homeless, addicted and otherwise endangered. People can donate clothes in any condition, canned food items and cold-weather gear, according to Jacobs.

“[The group] is really just trying to make a difference this winter,” Jacobs said. “We want to help as many people as we can.”

Campus Life and Safety Committee chair Roni Miller introduced her bill, Senate Bill 17, asking the senate to cosponsor the Walk the Row event on Sunday. The event will feature a march through City Campus to raise awareness for collegiate substance abuse. Senate voted to pass the bill and Miller encouraged senators to attend the march.

Miller also passed her other bill, Senate Resolution 3, moving for senate to recognize the new mental health and well-being addition to the TIPS Incident Reporting System, which is monitored by Counseling and Psychological Services and Big Red Resilience & Well-Being.

Sen. Saisha Adhikari introduced Senate Resolution 4, moving to support the Global Huskers Festival on Tuesday. Senate passed the bill and encouraged senators to attend.

The next ASUN meeting will take place in the Platte River Room of the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Nov. 20, at 6:30 p.m.