First ASUN meeting 2019-2020

ASUN President Emily Johnson smiles during the first ASUN meeting of the 2019-2020 school year at the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska swore two senators into ASUN and passed four bills related to ASUN applications, a political conversation series and a pre-health orientation during their first meeting of the school year on Wednesday, Aug. 28. 

President Emily Johnson also updated the senate body about the tuition increase for students to make up the budget deficit. She said the Board of Regents voted to increase tuition for University of Nebraska-Lincoln students by 1% or about $200, which disappointed Johnson. But the regents originally thought tuition would increase by nearly 5%, so she said she’s pleased tuition did not increase more. 

ASUN swore in Makinzie DeHaan from the College of Public Affairs and Community Service and Grace Hanson from the College of Education and Human Sciences as new senators. Additionally, they passed Government Bill 9, so ASUN can advertise open committee and senate positions via social media. 

According to the bill, ASUN will host a booth in the Nebraska Union on Tuesday, Sept. 3, Wednesday, Sept. 4 and Thursday, Sept. 12 to talk to students about the open positions. 

The bill also establishes an application deadline of Friday, Sept. 13, at 4 p.m. Speaker of the senate Drew Harrahill said applications can be found online or in the ASUN office. 

Additionally, ASUN passed Government Bill 11, which proposed senators host outreach events. According to the bill, senators from each college will host an event to encourage students from the senators’ respective colleges to apply for ASUN. 

Converge Nebraska, a political discussion series promoted by ASUN, will continue this year since ASUN passed Government Bill 10. According to the bill, ASUN will once again pair students with different political views together to meet and discuss politics.

“I’m really excited; we had great feedback last year,” internal vice president Jared Long said. “I’d love to see us get over the 100 [involved students] mark this fall; we got really close last fall.” 

Registration for the program will take place from Thursday, Sept. 5, to Friday, Sept. 20. ASUN will schedule the meetings within a week of students being paired together, according to Long.

ASUN voiced official support for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Explore Center’s pre-health orientation by passing Government Bill 12. The pre-health orientation is an event to answer new students’ questions regarding subjects such as UNL’s pre-health program or preparing for graduate school.

The orientation was created by former freshman campus leadership associate and sophomore actuarial science major Josh Thiele and will occur on Tuesday, Sept. 10, and Wednesday, Sept. 11, from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Nebraska Union Platte River South Room. 

“My favorite part about my project [was] the fact that you can make a change that won’t even affect you,” Thiele said. “You can find resources for others.” 

The next senate meeting will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 4 at the Nebraska Union at 6:30 p.m.