ASUN Long 1.22

ASUN internal vice president Jared Long speaks during a meeting in the Nebraska Union on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Association of Students of the University of Nebraska passed four pieces of legislation related to mental health, the Student Code of Conduct and phishing scam precautions during its meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 22.

Senate passed Government Bill 27, approving the Green Bandana Project, which shows support and provides help for those suffering from mental illnesses. In partnership with the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and sponsors such as Big Red Resilience & Well-Being and Counseling and Psychological Services, ASUN will provide 1,800 bandanas and mental health services’ resource cards to pass out at the Jan. 28 men’s basketball game and at multiple booths around the city campus the next day. 

On Wednesday, Jan. 29, booths with bandanas and resource cards will be located at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Business Atrium, UNL Campus Recreation, the UNL Recreation and Wellness Center, the Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center and the Nebraska Union, according to Sen. Jaden Roe, who worked on the bill along with internal vice president Jared Long. Roe said ASUN may also have a booth at Abel Sandoz Welcome Center.

Government Bill 28 was also passed, finalizing the suggested voting record for the ASUN delegates attending the Association of Big Ten Students annual Winter Conference from Friday to Sunday.

“I’m speaking on behalf of the ABTS delegation in saying that we’re all really excited to go,” Roe said. “ABTS is an organization that fosters new ideas.”

Government Bill 29, which proposed a joint Student Code of Conduct feedback session with the Office of Student Affairs, was passed by the senate, thereby approving the session to take place on Tuesday, Jan. 28, from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Nebraska Union’s Regency B meeting room.

Senate also passed Senate Resolution 5, which expresses ASUN’s support of a mandatory security alerts Listserv for every @huskers.unl.edu email as a precaution against phishing scams.

“Students have lost money, have had other real damages due to phishing,” Spencer Nussrallah, chair of the Technology Fee Advisory Committee, said. “So let’s end phishing at UNL, or at least make a step towards it.”

President Emily Johnson also announced the date for this year’s University of Nebraska Advocacy Summit, which will feature attendees from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Nebraska at Kearney, University of Nebraska Medical Center and University of Nebraska Omaha. The event will take place on Saturday, Feb. 8, at the Nebraska Champions Club. Johnson said she was inspired by the collaboration made possible during the Association of Big Ten Students annual Winter Conferences and wanted to bring a similar experience to the schools of the Nebraska system.

Senate welcomed a new member to its table today, Jeffrey Owusu-Ansah, who will act as the chief of staff.

Senate will meet again next Wednesday, Jan. 29, at 6:30 p.m. in the Platte River room of the Nebraska Union.

Editor’s note: To keep up to date with ASUN’s progress, check out The Daily Nebraskan’s Bill Tracker.