Former UNL student accused of hacking NeSIS will face trial

By Lis Arneson on January 9th, 2013

The case against a former University of Nebraska-Lincoln student accused of hacking into the University of Nebraska’s Nebraska Student Information System on May 23 will head to trial.

Daniel Stratman, 22, refused to enter a plea during his arraignment Tuesday afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge Cheryl Zwart. As a result, the district court entered a plea of not guilty.

The U.S. Attorneys’ Office filed charges against Stratman on Dec. 6.

In court documents, Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Russell said that between April 24 and May 24, Stratman intentionally accessed a protected computer without authorization, which resulted in reckless damage. The charge claims that Stratman’s conduct caused a loss of at least $5,000.

NU spokeswoman Melissa Lee said that Stratman is not a student at UNL at this time.

In the of spring 2012, he was a senior math and computer science major at UNL. Stratman was enrolled from Fall 2008 until Spring 2012.

Following the breach, the university re-evaluated its computer system, Lee said in a Jan. 4 interview.

The Nebraska State College System and NU have used the shared student information system NeSIS since 2009, according to the NeSIS website.

The shared student information system contains the records of over 650,000 students, alumni, employees, parents and applicants.

Lee said university officials do not yet know if Stratman “misused any of the information that he was able to access.”

If convicted, Stratman could face up to five years in prison, three years supervised release and a $250,000 fine.

The case will return to district court March 13 for a status conference, where deadlines – such as when evidence will be turned over – will be discussed.