fijibreaking 1

Lincoln Police and University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police cars are pictured outside the Phi Gamma Delta house late Wednesday night, Oct. 13, 2021, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

This story was updated at 11:48 a.m. on Oct. 14, 2021, to include details provided by UNLPD.

An altercation involving multiple people outside Phi Gamma Delta fraternity at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln late Wednesday night led to three arrests according to a press release from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police Department.

At 10:23 p.m. officers responded to R street on a report of a vandalism in progress, according to the release, and learned about a fight in progress while investigating.  Over 10 police vehicles from UNLPD and the Lincoln Police Department surrounded the fraternity — commonly referred to as FIJI — house’s north and west side, temporarily blocking traffic in front of the fraternity and Nebraska Union on R Street. Multiple people were detained and taken away in squad cars.

Three non-affiliated students were arrested. Dario Rossin, 18, was arrested for obstructing a peace officer and two counts of criminal mischief. Levi M. Leon, 18, was arrested for minor in possession of alcohol, possession of drug paraphernalia, and three counts of criminal mischief. A 17-year-old juvenile was referred to County Court for assault on a peace officer, minor in possession, trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia, failure to comply, third degree assault and resisting arrest.

Several vehicles in the area and a window at the fraternity were damaged, according to UNLPD Assistant Chief Marty Fehringer. The vandalism was related to the altercation, he said.  

No one who lives inside the house was arrested, Fehringer said. One police officer received multiple injuries from being assaulted, and two suspects who either fled or fought sustained minor injuries while being arrested. 

Ahmad Rana, the witness who called the police, and his friend Muhammad Ahmad, a first year master’s student in civil engineering, told The Daily Nebraskan they saw a few “drunk kids” banging on the doors of multiple frat houses before they broke one of the windows in FIJI and broke multiple car windows. Rana said the group was swearing and shouting loudly.

“They were for sure outsiders,” Ahmad said.

Individuals then came from inside the FIJI house and fought with those causing the disturbance. The fight continued for a few minutes, Rana said, and he called the police, who arrived only a couple of minutes later.

Ahmad and Rana both confirmed over ten individuals were involved in the fight. 

Individuals from inside the fraternity restrained one of the people who came onto the property, Ahmad said, and at least one other was arrested by the police as they arrived.

Officers then entered the FIJI house and appeared to speak to individuals inside while other officers searched the area and spoke to witnesses. 

Lincoln Fire and Rescue arrived on the scene to treat an individual in the back of the UNLPD vehicle, as he was vomiting profusely while handcuffed. He was then placed on a stretcher and taken into an ambulance. The individual claimed to be a minor when he spoke to police. 

Later, the police handcuffed and then placed an individual — who had been speaking with officers and appeared to be filming with his phone  — in a squad car.

UNLPD Captain Aaron Pembleton said the incident had concluded but the investigation was still ongoing. He confirmed that police made three arrests so far when contacted shortly after midnight Thursday. 

Individuals inside FIJI declined to comment when asked by The Daily Nebraskan.

Sydney Miller and Emma Whaley contributed reporting to this story.