NSE 2019 - letterfromeditor

Dear reader,

Similar to how some of you may be feeling at New Student Enrollment, going away for college was my time for a new beginning. Coming from Kansas and not knowing a single person in Nebraska, I was both eager and terrified to start a new chapter of my life at a university in a different state.

My choice to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln ended up being a last-minute choice that is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I thought I wanted to stay in Kansas and not stray too far from home. I was terrified that I wasn’t ready to move away and that this step was going to be overwhelming.

I couldn't have been more wrong. It wasn't until after I received my acceptance letter to UNL that I realized going to a school farther away could be just what I needed to push myself out of my comfort zone. My prior doubts in my decision only fueled the excitement I had to grow and create new experiences for myself.

What I didn’t know coming in was how many different ways I could shape my college experience through resources, clubs, friends and opportunities.

The one thing I was sure of when coming to UNL was The Daily Nebraskan. I found my love for journalism in high school and knew that I wanted to join the student-run newspaper staff as soon as I came to Lincoln.

I attended the Big Red Welcome Street Festival to solely find out more information about The Daily Nebraskan. I found the street festival was the perfect way to visit all sorts of booths and learn more about clubs to get involved with on campus.

Just like my arrival at college, this coming year for The Daily Nebraskan is full of new beginnings. Instead of eight magazine issues per school year like we previously had, The DN will be transitioning to four issues. In addition to this, you can expect even more multimedia and data-driven stories on our website. Our goal at The Daily Nebraskan has always been to be the one-stop-shop for all Nebraska-related news.

This NSE edition of The DN is to give you, as an incoming UNL student, a glimpse of what it is like to be a Husker. In the following pages of this magazine, you can find everything from a map of hotspots on campus, things to do in the evening as an under 21-year-old, a look at the history of the newly hired head basketball coach Fred Hoiberg and useful resources available to students on campus.

As I enter my final year of college, I have no regrets because I did everything I could to enjoy my time as a Husker. If I had to give any advice to you as you come to college for the first time, it would be to have confidence. Make your experience at UNL what you want it to be so you can walk across the stage at graduation feeling satisfied and prepared to move forward into the next step in your life.

Best,

Karissa Schmidt

Editor-in-chief