HUSKER FOOTBALL

AUSTIN, Texas -- Jammal Lord must be getting used to this.

Having lost nine games in the past two years, the senior quarterback always seems to blame nobody but himself.

Saturday's 31-7 loss was no different. Lord could have pointed his finger at the offensive line, but instead took responsibility for Nebraska's loss. He blamed himself rather than the O-line.

"The offense didn't do their job; I didn't do my job," said Lord, who accounted for 144 yards of total offense.

Nothing seemed to go right for Lord.

He may have had only one turnover, but he couldn't get anything going on the ground or through the air.

Lord finished with 22 yards on 21 rushes, an average of just a yard per carry.

Lord was sacked five times by UT's defense and was stopped behind the line of scrimmage two more times on rushing attempts.

When asked what exactly went wrong at the line of scrimmage, Lord had no explanation.

"I have no idea, no idea," he said. "Nothing worked today, nothing at all."

Throughout the game, Lord wasn't able to break many tackles or make the Longhorns miss. Lord's longest rush was for 12 yards. He didn't have a carry go for more than 10 yards until the fourth quarter.

"It's frustrating on my part," Lord said. "I had some plays to make that I didn't make."

NU Coach Frank Solich refused to put much blame on Lord.

"We didn't block well," Solich said. "Jammal had way too much pressure on him throughout the course of the game."

As a team, the Huskers finished with just 53 rushing yards on 40 carries -- an average of 1.3 yards per carry. That's the lowest rushing total NU has had in a game since at least 1979.

"We were beat up physically," NU Offensive Coordinator Barney Cotton said. "They had a good plan and we did not play well offensively."

Lord didn't complete his second pass of the game until the fourth quarter when he threw four completions, including a 48-yard touchdown strike to tight end Matt Herian to close the gap to 17-7 with 12 minutes remaining in the game.

For the game, Lord completed only five of his 15 passes

Lord's highlights were two passes to Herian -- one for 42 yards, and the 48-yard touchdown. Lord had a chance to hit Herian for another long bomb but under threw Herian, who had a few steps on UT's defenders.

"I guess," Lord said, "I didn't do enough."