The kicking game hurt the Huskers early against Kansas on Saturday night but ended up saving them later.Miscues in both aspects of the kicking game resulted in Kansas shutting out the Huskers in the first half on its way to a 9-0 lead.Two of the nine points came when the Jayhawks blocked a punt out of the back of the end zone for a safety.Kickers Coach Dan Young said that punter Dan Hadenfeldt was not to blame for the safety."It was on the one-yard-line," Young said. "So rather than being at 13 yards, you are at 10 and a half, so things have got to happen faster. He got it off in pretty good time."Young said that a twist run by the Jayhawks caught NU's blockers off-guard, which enabled KU to spring loose for the block.Hadenfeldt ended the game with a lackluster average but was able to pin KU inside its own 20-yard-line five out of seven punts. For the day, he averaged 40.6 yards per kick.The Husker senior is second in the Big 12 in punting with a 44.97-yard average. He is averaging five punts per game and has been a catalyst for gaining the Huskers' good field position."He has really been good all year," Young said. "He has been a steady player all season. We are fortunate to have a punter doing that well. We hope that we don't have to use him that much."While Hadenfeldt thrived, freshman kicker Josh Brown struggled, going one for three on field goals.Brown missed a 41-yard field goal in the first quarter, then connected on a 31-yarder in the third to give the Huskers their first points of the game.Brown then appeared to pull a 43-yard attempt in the fourth quarter. The field goal would have broken a 17-17 tie.Young said that Brown is confident but more consistency is needed from the freshman."He is coming along pretty good," Young said. "It was his first time on the field. Coming from a school of about 50 to big-time football has been a big change for him."Brown is six for 10 in the season in field goals and is ninth in the Big 12 with an average of .75 field goals per game.Young said he thought Brown "babied the first kick a little," but kicked the last two well, and all of his extra points were straight down the middle."In a big ball game, we need all of those field goals," Young said. "We can't go one for three. They were all very make-able. So it is something that we need to get better at."Note: Free Safety Clint Finley sustained a concussion in the KU game, but NU trainers and coaches are not sure when the injury occurred. Young said that Finley will be held out of practice for a couple of days.