Huskers not intimidated by Kyle Field
Scott Eastman/DN

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - They couldn't have picked a better place to finally do it.After losing its last five games outside the friendly confines of Memorial Stadium, Nebraska put an end to its recent road woes with a 38-31 win over Texas A&M on Saturday at one of the most difficult places to play in the country - Kyle Field.Amidst a sea of more than 80,000 swaying, chanting, maroon-clad A&M cadets, the Cornhuskers were able to silence the talk of a possible goose egg in the road win column by recording the biggest comeback under Coach Frank Solich.Even more remarkable than where the Huskers won, is how they did it.After trailing 21-14 at halftime, A&M shot out with 10 consecutive points in the third quarter to go up 31-14.Looking at the Huskers' recent history, it was usually the point where they took off the gloves and threw in the towel.But this time, they went all 12 rounds.NU (6-3, 2-2 Big 12) scored 24 unanswered points in the second half, highlighted by three touchdowns from true freshman David Horne, to erase the deficit and secure the Huskers' most important win of the season."That was a tremendous football game," Solich said. "Our kids showed tremendous heart and character for four quarters. In terms of staying with it, believing in themselves and overcoming what they had to overcome, I thought it was a great effort by our ball club."Despite what the score may suggest, the NU offense blasted the fourth-ranked Aggie defense for 497 total yards, with 381 of those on the ground.More importantly, the win may have instilled a little more life in the Huskers' bowl hopes."This truly was an amazing game for us," sophomore safety Philip Bland said. "We had our backs against the wall down 31-14, and we fought back to win."That says a lot about what kind of team we can be."The game may not have been so amazing for the Huskers had it not been for Bland.With 3:36 left in the fourth quarter, sophomore quarterback Dustin Long had driven the Aggies to the Nebraska 9-yard line. It looked like nothing was going to stop A&M from making the game go a little longer into the drizzly, foggy night.But when Long dropped back to pass on first and goal, senior rush end Demoine Adams broke through the line and quickly entered the Aggie backfield.Long stumbled, and in an attempt to throw the ball out of the back of the end zone, lobbed a floating duck nowhere near an Aggie receiver.Bland cut back to his right and dove in full extension to grab NU's second pick of the day.A few clock-grinding runs later and the two corner sections of Nebraska fans erupted."We overcame an awful lot," Solich said. "So many things happened for us in the second half. It was an unbelievable half of football. But the interception by Philip Bland was about as big as it gets."The win improves Nebraska's record to 6-3 on the season, and with a home game against 3-7 Kansas left on the schedule, a winning season is all but guaranteed.But the Huskers are looking for more than just avoiding their first bowl-less season in 34 years.NU has four games remaining on its schedule that, if it plays the way it did on Saturday, have the potential to add a few more tallies in the win column before season's end.While the victory is undoubtedly sweet, the Huskers know they need to do it with a little more consistency before they get too riled up.With No. 7 Texas coming to town Saturday, there isn't much time to celebrate anyway."This is a game that we're going to enjoy, but we're going to put it behind us," Solich said. "We've got a tough schedule ahead of us. This was a big win for us, and it was a big one, but we're going to move on."