SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The down-with-the-Longhorns celebration started with one minute and one second remaining in the Big 12 Conference Championship game Saturday.As the Blackshirts jogged off the artificial turf in the Alamodome following Dion Booker's fourth-quarter interception of a Major Applewhite pass, they did their own version of the Hook 'Em Horns, pointing their pinkie and pointer fingers down at the ground.After having the Longhorn symbol thrown in their faces following three straight losses, it was the Cornhuskers' turn to celebrate following their 22-6 victory over No. 12 Texas before a Big 12 Championship game record crowd of 65,035."I knew I didn't want to leave (Nebraska) without beating Texas," senior rover Mike Brown said. "I finally got them. I can die now."That's doubtful because NU, 11-1 and 8-1 in the Big 12, still has to play Tennessee in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl Jan. 2 in Tempe, Ariz. It will be a homecoming for Brown, who played at Sun Devil Stadium as a youth.Brown's relief about beating Texas was felt by all the NU players after the game. Senior linebacker Julius Jackson, a Gainesville, Texas, native, held up his Big 12 champions shirt and hat and saluted the more than 20,000 Nebraska fans in attendance as he walked off the field.Offensive Line Coach Milt Tenopir found all of his linemen and gave each a big hug. Center Dominic Raiola, who was criticized for saying he hated Texas before the first meeting, yelled "How about them Huskers?" three or four times in the tunnel leading back to the locker rooms so all the Texas players walking by could hear him.It was a game the Huskers wanted. It showed from the opening series of the game. On that drive, NU moved the ball from its own 11-yard line to the Texas 43-yard line before being stopped. Despite not scoring any points, that drive was one of the most important in the game, said sophomore Eric Crouch."It was important to start off this game with a great drive like that to show Texas that we were going to come down the field and drive on them," said Crouch, who looked like Rocky Balboa after the game with a bruised right eye, cut lip and scrapes all over his face and neck. "It was a good momentum-booster for this team."Josh Brown got NU on the board first in the next Husker possession with a career-best 42-yard field goal. Then Crouch got one of his big plays, a 31-yard touchdown run on fourth and one, to put NU ahead 10-0 with four minutes and 30 seconds remaining in the first quarter.Another Brown field goal and safety in the second quarter gave NU its 15-0 halftime lead. On the Huskers' third play of the second half, NU junior running back Correll Buckhalter, filling in for an injured Dan Alexander, rumbled 55 yards down to the UT 3-yard line to set up Crouch for his second score. Buckhalter finished with 136 yards on 20 carries.Nebraska's defense played with the intensity of a squad that was fighting for its life rather than to win a football game. The pressure from Steve Warren, Loran Kaiser, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Aaron Wills and the rest of the Blackshirts was relentless.Unlike last week against Colorado when NU surrendered 28 fourth-quarter points, the pressure was there for all four quarters."We played a complete game today," said Brown, who led NU with six tackles, including one sack for a 10-yard loss. "We really got a lot of pressure on Major Applewhite. We pretty much dominated them from the first quarter to the fourth quarter. We had a mission today. We knew it was up to us to dominate them and get the victory."And dominate the fourth-ranked NU defense did. At halftime, Texas had 26 yards on 33 plays. For the game the Blackshirts held the Longhorns to 173 total yards - 9 on the ground and 164 through the air.The mastermind of the defensive gem was defensive coordinator Charlie McBride. The 23-year veteran felt challenged this week by Applewhite, who called the NU defensive plan simple and said it wasn't like calculus in breaking it down.He sent his defensive troops after Applewhite from every angle and nearly every play, much the way Kansas State had when it defeated Texas 35-17 on Oct. 2.NU got results similar to the Wildcats'. Applewhite was sacked seven times and completed only 15 of 42 passes for 164 yards, including three interceptions."Coach McBride really wanted to get after him and pressure him and see how he could react to the pressure," said Mike Brown, who became the first Husker defensive back and third NU player all-time to lead Nebraska in tackles three-straight years. "We shook him up a little bit early. We didn't stop pressuring him. He made some bad throws."Those bad throws resulted in three interceptions that stopped each of the Texas drives into NU territory, including the final one with one minute and 25 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. The 37-yard return by sophomore safety Dion Booker on that pick was a new Big 12 record, topping Mike Brown's 27-yard return in 1997.Until Booker made that final interception though, there were many uneasy NU fans who wondered if Applewhite was going to break out of his funk and orchestrate another Longhorn comeback as he had in each of the past two games.But this Saturday belonged to NU. The Blackshirts did their job on Applewhite and sent the seniors out as champions."For the seniors we knew this was our last game," said Ralph Brown, who set a Big 12 championship game record with five pass breakups. "We wanted to beat Texas and win the Big 12 Championship. We didn't want to have any regrets after the game, and we don't have any now because we played our hearts out the whole game."