Peaceful protests over the death of George Floyd, a Minneapolis man who died after being detained by Minneapolis police, became violent as protesters, looters and officers clashed on Friday, May 29, and early Saturday, May 30.

Tear gas and other projectiles were used to calm the crowds by Lincoln Police and the Nebraska State Patrol after the peaceful protest turned into looting.

What started as a protest in the street at 27th and O streets turned violent after looters broke into the EZ Go convenience store at 25th and O streets. After the few officers on scene were quickly outnumbered, a large group of officers and troopers descended on the EZ Go parking lot, clearing protesters and looters out of the area.

Yashua Bradley, a protester in attendance at the Lincoln protest, said that although he doesn't support the violence, he feels the protesters aren't noticed by being peaceful.

"I don't condone the damages and all that s***," Bradley said, "but we tried the peaceful protests. They weren't listening. They didn't hear us."

Odin Uhart, another protester at the Lincoln protest, said that he hopes more people go out and peacefully protest.

"I hope more people do this," Uhart said, "and to support other people's rights to f***ing live."

In a press conference on Saturday morning, Lincoln Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird said that the violence demonstrated early Saturday morning could not continue.

"Protesters in Lincoln have largely been peaceful and respectful," Gaylor Baird said, "and we fully support their calls for justice. Last night, however, anger turned into violence and destruction here in Lincoln. We can't have that. That honors no one."

Additionally, Omaha housed a protest for Floyd as  thousands met at the intersection of 72nd and Dodge streets. Peace by the protesters eventually turned into anger, and multiple stores in the area were vandalized. Twenty-one people were arrested for various charges after police cleared the area, according to the Omaha Police Department.

Arthur Dupree, a local musician under the name of King Killah, said that he attended the protest to help spread awareness.

"I came here just basically to try to make an impression," Dupree said, "to try to make a statement for the city that I grew up in and love as a musician and to spread awareness of the situation. The injustice that we always go through."

During a press conference on Saturday afternoon, Omaha police chief Todd Schmaderer said that he supports the efforts made by peaceful protesters. As talks of another protest being planned for Saturday night, Schmaderer said that officers will do what they can to ensure the protests can happen.

"We want you to do that, and we will be there to try to facilitate the peace," Schmaderer said. "We'll stay out of the way if it's a peaceful protest. We want you to air and voice your concerns. We're there for those protesters. We're there to make it happen."