NORMAN, Okla. - Nebraska came into Norman, Okla., with a moderate amount of momentum and some positive expectations.

Neither lasted longer than the five minutes it took Oklahoma to run up a 21-0 lead on the Cornhuskers.

Eventually, the Huskers were in a hole they would never escape as the No. 4 Sooners (8-1, 4-1 Big 12 Conference) blasted Nebraska (5-4, 2-3 Big 12) by a final score of 62-28.

"I've been in a lot of games, and I've seen it happen," NU Coach Bo Pelini said. "The snowball started rolling on us, and we didn't do anything to get it stopped."

The game started off fairly routine for the Sooner offense. They started with the ball, and within three minutes the Sooners led 7-0. Little thought was given to the quick score, considering Nebraska had tied the game against both Missouri and Texas Tech when the two former opponents took a 7-0 lead on NU.

Then Joe Ganz, NU's senior quarterback, threw a pass into the flats that was instantly intercepted and returned for a touchdown by OU's Dominique Franks - 14-0 Oklahoma.

Ganz led NU back onto the field after the pick-six only to see sophomore tight end Dreu Young catch a first down pass and then fumble it back to the Sooners. Three Oklahoma offensive plays later, the Sooners led by 21 points and Nebraska had only held the ball on offense for 51 seconds.

In a game where time of possession was considered one of the biggest parts of a Nebraska upset, Pelini said that it flatly came down to execution, or in NU's case, a lack thereof.

"I was trying to tell them to relax," Pelini said. "I've never been a part of something that started off that bad. It takes the wind out of your sails, it really does. I'll give all the credit in the world to Oklahoma. They beat us in every phase of the game."

No NU assistant coaches or players met with the media after the game - Pelini's orders.

The Sooners continued to win each phase of the game after their quick start when Ganz threw another interception on his next drive, which set up Oklahoma's fourth touchdown. Six minutes later, OU tacked on yet another TD to make it 35-0.

At halftime the Huskers stared at a 49-14 deficit and a bitter chapter in the classic rivalry between the two teams.

OU's 49 points in the first half became the most first-half points NU ever allowed in the series.

The talk in the locker room at halftime may not have been what most would've expected.

"The game was out of hand at that point," Pelini said. "We weren't going to come back and win the football game more than likely. I said we just got to move on. That's where I am with this football team. We have three games left and that's all we can control."

After halftime, NU stuck with the Sooners in a back and forth match-up that saw OU quarterback Sam Bradford continue his stellar day on his way to five touchdown passes and one interception.

Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops said what his team was able to do to the Huskers could be credited mostly to focus.

"We just came out firing with everybody," Stoops said. "I just thought our guys were really focused, and we couldn't have executed much better in all parts of the game. Our offense was moving and running fast, and our defense made all the big plays and turnovers."

Nebraska now sits at 5-4 overall on the season with three games left to secure bowl game eligibility. The Huskers only had one game to complete that feat a year ago, and Pelini said those three games are all he's worried about.

The Huskers finish its season with Kansas, Kansas State and Colorado.

Pelini knows this will be a tough loss to take for his Huskers, but says the game is over and it's time to move on and focus on KU, who will be heading into Lincoln on Saturday.

"I feel strongly that this team will respond the right way," Pelini said. "We're not a football team that points fingers at each other. I think it's a group that will hang together through thick and thin. We're going to keep working."

spencerschubert@dailynebraskan.com