weekly events

Monday, Feb. 10

Capital Jazz Society’s Spring 2020 Series presents Monday Night Big Band, Chez SoDo, 7 p.m.

Every Monday night, Capital Jazz Society provides quality jazz events to the Lincoln community. Monday Night Big Band has allowed for a wonderful opportunity for bands of all ages to sight-read and practice performing. Community members are encouraged to bring their own instruments and sit in with the band. 

Monday Comedy Open Mic Night, Duffy’s Tavern, 7:30 p.m.

For those 21 and over, Duffy’s Tavern hosts a comedy open mic night every Monday night. Admission is free. Come watch seasoned and novice comedians try out new jokes and sling crowd favorites. 

Tuesday, Feb. 11

Dish It Up, Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center, 12-1 p.m.

A weekly event hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Office of Academic Success and Intercultural Services, Dish It Up provides students and faculty the opportunity to chat about various topics in their lives. The luncheon allows for a safe space where participants are encouraged to learn from each other and engage in a civil conversation. Participants should bring their own lunch, drinks will be provided. 

The Infamous Stringdusters, Bourbon Theatre, 8 p.m.

A grammy award-winning jamgrass quartet, The Infamous Stringdusters are an acoustic bluegrass band that first emerged in 2006. They will be hitting the Bourbon Theatre as a stop on their current national tour. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the performance will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets are $26 in advance and $31 at the door, with a portion of every ticket donated to charity. 

Wednesday, Feb. 12

Love Your Heart Zumba Class, Nebraska East Union, 5:45-6:45 p.m.

As part of the Love Your Heart series, the University Health Center will be hosting a free Zumba class for students in the Goldenrod and Sunflowers rooms of the East Campus Union. The class will be hosted by Kwakiutl Dreher, a Zumba instructor and an associate professor of English and ethnic studies. Zumba allows students to get their blood pumping through a series of low, medium and high-intensity movements. 

Lincoln Exposed 2020, various locations and times

The 15th Anniversary of Lincoln’s own music festival, Lincoln Exposed, is set to host a diverse selection of local bands. On Wednesday, bands will play at the Zoo Bar from 7-11 p.m., Bodega’s Alley from 7 p.m. to midnight and 1867 Bar from 7:40-11:40 p.m. Festival passes are $25 while day passes range from $8 to $10. View the full schedule here

Thursday, Feb. 13

Galentine's Day, Nebraska Union, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Hosted by the UNL Women's Center, female students are invited to celebrate Galentine’s Day in Room 338 of the Nebraska Union. Galentine’s Day is an opportunity to celebrate yourself and fellow women the day before Valentine’s Day. Snacks and activities will be provided.

Cuban Missile Crisis, Chez SoDo, 7 p.m.

As part of the Live in Lincoln: Thursday Night Music Series, the band Cuban Missile Crisis will be playing at Chez SoDo. The show is free with the purchase of dinner from the restaurant.

Friday, Feb. 14

Black Love, Black Futures, South of Downtown Community Development, 5 p.m.

Kat Wiese, a local visual artist, will be displaying her piece “If a Black Woman is Afraid of the Dark, is She Afraid of a Shadow or Herself” at the South of Downtown Community Development. The show is part of the art hub’s celebration of black history month.

Let’s GLO Crazy Skate Night, John Breslow Ice Hockey Center, 8-11 p.m. 

Campus Recreation will be hosting a fun twist to the weekly skate night. Let’s GLO Crazy is a glow-in-the-dark ice skating party with other interactive activities. Raising Cane’s will be serving food. Admission is free for UNL students and $6 for the general public. Skate rental is available for $3 per pair.

Saturday, Feb. 15

Hello Vietnam 2020: Dem Vietnam, Nebraska Union, 5 p.m.

Nebraska’s Vietnamese Student Association will be hosting their annual Vietnamese Culture showcase. The show will feature a variety of dances, skits and cuisine. This year the theme is “A Night in Vietnam.” Attendees are asked to dress in semi-formal or traditional vietnamese attire. Tickets are $12 in advance from various booths on campus and $15 at the door.

Taylor Staggs, Adam D’Josey and Mad at You, The Bay, 7 p.m.

The Bay is hosting a serene night of solo performers. The singer/songwriters will be projecting their lyrics into the music venue and skatepark combination space for a night full of feelings. Tickets are $5. 

Sunday, Feb. 16

Nebraska Wesleyan Theatre presents Glengarry Glen Ross, NWU Miller Theatre, 2 p.m.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a play following the lives of four Chicago salesmen. This show features two rotating casts — one all-male cast set in the 80s and one all-female cast set in the present day. Sunday’s performance will feature the all-female cast. Tickets are $10 for adults and $7.50 for seniors and children. 

The Comedy Loft presents Lyp Schtick Improv Night, The Comedy Loft, 7 p.m.

Lyp Schtick is a short-form comedy improv scenes and games based on suggestions from the audience. No performance is the same, as there is no script and everything is created on the spot. Attendees are encouraged to arrive 15 minutes prior to showtime.