What's Happening in Lincoln, Sept. 23 - 29 Art

Monday, Sept. 23

Maybelline's Mobile Pop-Up, Union Plaza, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Stop by Maybelline’s college campus mobile pop-up makeup shop at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Touring the pop-up is free and includes stations for foundation matching, lipstick sampling and mini brow makeovers.

Writers' Night Workshop & Open Mic, Featuring F Street Writers, Crescent Moon, 7-9 p.m.

Crescent Moon will host a poetry and prose writing workshop, followed by a poetry open mic. This week, the writers of F Street Community Center will be leading the workshop. It is free to attend, but a purchase of any kind from Crescent Moon is required to participate.

Tuesday, Sept. 24

University Career Fair, Pinnacle Bank Arena, 1-5 p.m

Employers from a vast range of fields come together for the two-day University Career Fair. The event is free and strives to give students an opportunity to discuss employment opportunities in the business, social & human services, agricultural sciences & natural resources and government & nonprofit fields.

Science Café - Climate Change, The Happy Raven, 6:30-8 p.m.

In this Science Café lecture, Dr. Ramesh Laungani, associate professor of biology at Doane University, will unpack the topic of climate change. The event is free for ages 21 and over and will feature food available to order from Rutabagas.

Wednesday, Sept. 25

The Defamation Experience, Nebraska Union, 3 p.m.

OASIS bring a courtroom drama where the actors break the fourth wall by including the audience as the jury. The play explores race, class and gender issues. The play is free to attend.

35th Annual Adult Spelling Bee, Single Barrel, 6 p.m. 

The 35th Annual Adult Spelling Bee is set to occur at Single Barrel. The event is open to the public, with tickets for $20 that can be purchased here. The night begins with a silent auction to be followed by the competition. Proceeds benefit the Nebraska Literary Heritage Association and the Jane Pope Geske Heritage Room of Nebraska Authors.

Thursday, Sept. 26

3rd Annual Sustainability Summit, Nebraska Union Auditorium, 11:45 a.m.

The Arbor Day Foundation’s Abbie Eisenhart will be the keynote speaker for the first annual Sustainability Summit put on by the Office of Sustainability. After her presentation, there will be a break-out session covering sustainable living and climate change in Nebraska. This event is free and open to the public.

The Zooeys with Shiitake Sunday, The Credentials, Royal Grove, 8 p.m.

Omaha’s rock-and-roll band The Zooeys will be teaming up with local indie rock band Shiitake Sunday and The Credentials Thursday night at the Royal Grove. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased here.

Friday, Sept. 27

‘90s at Night with Flannel Channel, Bourbon Theatre, 9 p.m.

Break out your favorite flannel and Sublime T-shirt and head to the Bourbon Theatre for ‘90s at Night with the 90s punk cover band Flannel Channel. The night begins at 8 p.m. with the 90s Alt-Pop band covering artists like Everclear and Radiohead. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased here before the show or at the doors on the day of the show. The event is for ages 18 and over with a $2 minor fee at the doors, which open at 8 p.m.

Nebraska Basketball Opening Night, Pinnacle Bank Arena, 7 p.m. 

The new era of Nebraska basketball begins Friday, Sept. 27, as the Huskers start their first season under head coach Fred Hoiberg. The night will include a musical performance by Rick Ross, a team introduction and a team scrimmage. The event is free, but tickets must be reserved online in advance.

Saturday, Sept. 28

Queer Inclusive Yoga, The Foundry Community, 3 p.m.

OutNebraska is hosting its Queer Inclusive Yoga class Saturday afternoon. The class strives to cater to all bodies, abilities and experiences. Mats will be provided on a first-come, first-serve basis, so it is suggested to bring your own.

The Metal Inquisition, Gray’s Keg, noon

The Metal Maniacs of KZUM’s The Metal Manifesto will join 13 Nebraska bands on this day full of local metal music. A $10 pass will give you access to see all 14 bands, which include Lincoln’s own Broken Skulls, Griffoctopuss and Cynge.

Sunday, Sept. 29

Nebraska & Beyond, Nebraska Innovation Campus, 7 a.m.

Nebraska native and photographer Suzanne Spiehs will have a collection of images focusing mainly on the beauty of Nebraska, but she will also have additional images from other places in the U.S. Growing up on a farm outside of Grand Island, Nebraska, Spiehs’ photography centers around her love for landscapes and nature. The exhibit is free and open to the public from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.

BugFest, Entomology Hall, East Campus, 1-4 p.m.

Doubling as an open house for UNL’s entomology department and as an insect-centered event, BugFest is back with improvements, new sights and games. The fest features insect art, edible insects and face painting.