Weekly Events, Sept. 9-15

Monday, Sept. 9

“School Violence, Safety, and Policy Solutions — Featuring John-Michael Keyes,” Nebraska Union Auditorium, 2 p.m.

John-Michael Keys, the founder of the “I Love U Guys” Foundation, will speak in the Nebraska Union Auditorium as part of the Public Policy Center Thomas C. Sorensen Seminar Series. The “I Love U Guys” Foundation focuses on educating and training school administrators to respond to crisis situations. Keys will speak about the aftermath of a school shooting in Colorado and the work that his Foundation has done. This event is free and open to the public.

Nebraska and Beyond, A Photography Exhibition, Nebraska Innovation Campus, 7 a.m. 

Nebraska Innovation Campus will feature work from Nebraska-born photographer Suzanne Spiehs. Her work will showcase images of nature and landscapes of Nebraska, as well as photos from her travels abroad. The exhibit is free and open to the public. 

Tuesday, Sept. 10

Dr. Julie Park – “Race on Campus: Debunking Myths with Data,” Love Library South Room 102, 6:30 p.m.

Julie Park, author of “Race on Campus: Debunking Myths with Data” will be at UNL to discuss the misconceptions of race on campus. Park will talk about the previous research she has done on the topic and how she uses data to challenge stereotypes and misinformation about race on campus. The discussion is free and open to the public. 

Nebraska Lecture featuring Daniel Claes, Wick Alumni Center Great Hall, 3:30 p.m.

The September Nebraska Lecture will be presented by Daniel Claes, department chair and professor of physics and astronomy at UNL. The lecture, “Physics at Nebraska: DeWitt Bristol Brace and Einstein,” is the eighth installment of 12 Nebraska Lectures in 2019 for the university’s 150th anniversary. 

Wednesday, Sept. 11

“Blackness, Africans and African Americans: Complex Solidarities and Beauty,” Nebraska Union Auditorium, 7:00 p.m. 

Join Mukoma Wa Ngugi, an associate professor of English at Cornell University, in his discussion about the convoluted relationship between Africans and African Americans. Ngugi will touch on the history of this complex relationship and his own experience as someone born in the United States but raised in Kenya. The discussion is free and open to the public. 

Dine Out to Help Out at The Mill Coffee & Bistro, any The Mill Coffee & Tea location, 7 a.m.

The Mill is partnering with the Food Bank of Lincoln to help the Lincoln community. 10% of customers’ totals will be donated to the Food Bank of Lincoln. The fundraiser will last open to close at any of The Mill’s locations. 

Thursday, Sept. 12

Take Note Auditions, Westbrook Music Building Room 104, 6 p.m.

For women interested in a cappella, UNL’s newest all-female a cappella group Take Note will host auditions in Room 104 of the Westbrook Music Building. Those who audition should prepare to sing “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” or “America the Beautiful” in any key.

Shelley Thornton: Textile Art Dolls, 8:30 a.m. 

For nearly 30 years, internationally-recognized artist Shelley Thornton has worked with textiles to create her stylized art dolls. Thornton was inducted into the National Institute of American Doll Artists in 1995 for her work. These dolls, complete with needle-sculpted faces, wooden ball joints and engaging color thematics, will be on display in the Robert Hillestad Textiles Gallery in Room 231 through Sept. 13.

Friday, Sept. 13

Mini Golf Night, Adventure Golf Center, 7 p.m.

Student involvement will host a night of miniature golf at the Adventure Golf Center at 5901 South 56th St. The event if free for all students with a valid N Card. No prior experience is required, and equipment will be provided.  

OTHER FEST, 440 S. 11th St., 6 p.m.

The first ever OTHER FEST will feature local music, art, panels and workshops. The lineup consists of bands like No Thanks, Death Cow, Histrionic, Mesonjixx and many more. The DIY festival is $15 for two days and $10 for one. The festival is two nights and goes through Sept. 14. More information is available on the festival’s Facebook page. 

Saturday, Sept. 14

“Styled Session Workshop: Movement,” Nebraska Union Plaza, 6 p.m.

Hone your photography skills with this workshop centered around forming composition around movement. Participants will build interesting and artistic photography compositions and focus on multiple perspectives during this workshop. Space is limited, and the cost to attend is $5 and tickets can be purchased here.

Art in the Garden, Sunken Gardens, 11 a.m.

Noyes Art Gallery will host over 50 artists at the Sunken Gardens, located on 27th and D streets. The artwork displayed will be on sale for the public to purchase, with a part of the proceeds supporting Sunken Gardens. The event is free to attend and will also have food and live music.

Sunday, Sept. 15

Big Red Ruckus, Adele Coryell Learning Commons, 4 p.m.

Pizza, games, coffee and Dunkin’ Donuts samples will be provided for any students new to campus who are looking to connect with other Huskers. For those interested, there will be an opportunity to meet with faculty members in Education Abroad, First Year Experience and Huskertech during the festivities. 

5K for CASA, Starting Line, 11 a.m. 

The Kappa Alpha Theta sorority will host a 5K run for their philanthropy event. The run will include shirts, food and drink for participants. To participate, students can purchase tickets from sorority members prior to the event for $8, or the day of the event for $10. Awards will be given to top finishers.