Weekly Events Art, Sept. 16-22

Monday, Sept. 16

Duffy's Tavern Comedy Open Mic Night, Duffy’s Tavern, 7 p.m. 

Duffy’s Tavern will host its weekly open mic night for experienced or inexperienced comics. The comedy night is free and open to the public ages 21 and over. Anyone who attends is encouraged to participate. Sign-ups begin at 7 p.m., with comedy starting at 7:30. 

Poster Making Workshop, Anderson Hall Room 336, 6 p.m.

Sustain UNL will make signs for the Nebraska Climate Strike that will occur on Sept. 20. Art supplies and a limited amount of cardboard will be provided for participants. Other than making posters, attendees will also discuss climate action stories. The workshop goes until 7 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 17

Education Abroad Fair, Nebraska Union Plaza, 11 a.m. 

Interested in studying abroad? The University of Nebraska-Lincoln will host its Education Abroad Fair in the Nebraska Union Plaza until 2 p.m. on Tuesday. Students are encouraged to come learn about which country is the perfect fit for their studies, internships or research. 

Wednesday, Sept. 18

LGBTQA+ 101, Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center Ubuntu Room, 2 p.m.

The LGBTQA+ Resource Center will host an informational event that will discuss LGBTQA+ terminology, identity and inclusive environments. It will also provide information about what the LGBTQA+ Resource Center offers to students on campus. The event will be held in the Ubuntu Room of the Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center.

#HireMe Career Fair Prep Event, Centennial Ballroom in Union, 6 p.m.

Ahead of the Career Fairs on Sept. 24 and 25, students will have the opportunity to prepare to talk to potential employers at the fairs. Many topics will be covered at the prep event including how to research and spark conversations with employers, how to be prepared for future internship opportunities, how to network and make connections and so much more.

Thursday, Sept. 19 

Lincoln Calling, 14th and O streets, 5 p.m. 

The 16th annual Lincoln Calling music festival will featuring local acts like Myles Jasnowski and Jack Hotel and touring musicians like Soccer Mommy and Cautious Clay. Beginning on Wednesday, the four-day festival will run until Sept. 22, according to the website, and will be held at local venues and stages along 14th and O streets. Venues include Duffy’s Tavern, Bodega’s Alley, 1867 Bar and The Zoo Bar. There will also be outdoor stages including the Night Market Stage and Duffy’s Backlot. In addition to music, there will be live art and panels for individuals to attend. Tickets are $25 for one day and $50 for three days. Tickets are available here. University of Nebraska-Lincoln students can purchase tickets for $20 at the University Program Council office.  

Casual Japanese Tea Party, Nebraska Union Greenspace, noon

Join the Kawasaki Reading Room in making traditional Japanese tea. All students are welcomed to join but are encouraged to RSVP for the event here by Sept. 13. It’s a great opportunity to socialize with other students and enjoy a refreshing cup of tea. 

Hub & Soul Music Series, Jack Hotel/ Gerardo Meza & The Dead of Night, Union Plaza, 21st and Q streets, 5 p.m.

Hub & Soul will host its last concert of the season. The all-ages community event will host Lincoln bands Jack Hotel and Gerardo Meza & The Dead of Night until 8 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. 

Friday, Sept. 20

Sean Bott, Union Auditorium,  7:30 p.m. 

Mentalist Sean Bott will perform for UNL students as a part of UNL Family Weekend, sponsored by UPC Nebraska. Bott specializes in mind-reading, hypnosis and comedy and has been featured on MTV, Sci-Fi and the CW. 

10 Signs of a Healthy Relationship - For Grad & Professional Students, Cather Dining Complex Room: Red Cloud A, noon

One Love Foundation presents a seminar covering the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationship behaviors. Lunch is provided for the event and students can register here.

Saturday, Sept. 21

Piedmont Oktober Fest, The Shoppes at Piedmont, 5 p.m.

Oktober Fest is coming to The Shoppes at Piedmont. This event will feature many different breweries, vendors, artists and contests. A big screen will also broadcast the away Husker game against Illinois. The door fee is $7, and packages range from $25 to $40 for a VIP pass.

Unbeatable 0.5K: The “Run” for the Rest of Us, The Railyard Lincoln, 4 p.m.

The Railyard is hosting Lincoln’s shortest race. The event includes three parts: a pre-run fun at 4:00 p.m., the race at 5:15 p.m. and the post-run fun at 5:30 p.m. The event includes food, beverages, contests and more. All proceeds go to the Autism Society of Nebraska. Those who are interested can sign up on their website.

Sunday, Sept. 22

Harvest Moon Festival 2019, Antelope Park Bandshell, 4 p.m.  

Join the Asian Community and Cultural Center of Lincoln, Nebraska, in an illuminating event featuring lantern lighting, live music, food and live performances. Hosted at Antelope Park Bandshell, the event is free and open to the public. 

Sunday with a Scientist, Morrill Hall, 12:30 p.m.

Morrill Hall will be hosting an event Sunday that allows kids to work as a paleontologist for a few hours. They will explore and learn about different fossils and how they paint an image of our world long ago. Kids will be able to create a family tree using fossil teeth, make a landscape out of fossil pollen and immerse themselves in the ancient world using virtual reality. Morrill Hall will also be screening the PBS documentary “When Whales Walked: Journeys in Deep Time” throughout the day. 

This article was modified on Sept. 16 at 10:16 p.m. to change the date of the Hub & Soul Music Series.