What's Happening in Lincoln, Sept 3. - Sept. 8 Art

Tuesday, Sept. 3

UNL Gardens Walking Tour, Maxwell Arboretum, noon - 1 p.m.

Come join research horticulturist Emily Levine and tour the beautiful flora that UNL has to offer. This jaunt through East Campus Maxwell Arboretum is subject to change depending on the weather.

Shelly Thornton - Textile Art Dolls, Robert Hillestad Textiles Gallery, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

This event showcases Shelly Thornton’s handmaid dolls, and it will also provide an opportunity for her to demonstrate her new addition to her pieces: animation. Using different textiles, Thornton creates unique looks for each of her dolls. 

Wednesday, Sept. 4

The Husker Civic Challenge Fair, Nebraska Union Plaza, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Over 60 Lincoln nonprofit organizations will be present in the Union Plaza to meet with students and present opportunities for giving back in the community. In 2019, UNL students will give back through 1.5 million service hours as a community, so this fair is a great way to join fellow Huskers in service.

LGBTQA+ Resource Center and Women’s Center Open House, Nebraska Union Room 346 and 340, 3 - 6 p.m.

Join UNL’s LGBTQA+ Resource Center and Women’s Center for their open house and learn about the many resources and opportunities available to students, staff and faculty. Everyone is invited and encouraged to stay for as long as they would like. Hor d’oeuvres and desserts will be provided at the event. 

Thursday, Sept. 5

Global Cafe: Careers with Peace Corps, Oldfather Hall, noon - 1 p.m. 

Curious if a career in the Peace Corps is right for you? Come and talk to recruiters who are looking for new members to travel abroad and learn more about this opportunity. 

Humanities on the Edge Presents Annie McClanahan, Sheldon Museum of Art, 5:30 - 7 p.m. 

Humanities on the Edge, a speaker series at UNL, invites Annie McClanahan, an associate professor of English at UC Irvine, to lead a discussion that touches on topics such as tipwork, gigwork and automation. The discussion will also include thoughts on the influence of art, TV, poetry and advertisement.

Friday, Sept. 6

First Friday Sheldon Art Museum Welcome, Sheldon Museum of Art, 5 - 7 p.m.

The Sheldon Museum of Art celebrates its first Friday of the new academic year with an open house that gives the community a chance to see what the museum has to offer. For those who stop by, there is a variety of fun-themed options, and UNL students get a free T-Shirt with their UNL ID. 

Graduate and Nontraditional Student Social, Nebraska Union, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.

This casual social is a meeting for identified members of the LGBTQA+ community to come together and get to know one another. Coffee and bagels will be supplied, so come down to the LGBTQA+ Resource Center in the Nebraska Union and chat amongst peers.

Saturday, Sept. 7

Arboretum Plant Sale, East Campus Greenhouse, 9:00 a.m. - noon

This Plant Sale is hosted by Plant Nebraska and will feature a wide variety of greenery including trees, shrubs, grasses and perennials, many of which are native plants or plants with a regional seed source.

Nebraska Book Festival, Nebraska Union, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

This annual event celebrates Nebraska’s literary heritage, with presentations from some of the region’s most notable authors. Kwame Dawes, Kassandra Montag and more regional talents will read from their respective works and give creative insights. Books will also be available for purchase from vendors including the University of Nebraska Press, A Novel Idea Bookstore and Francie & Finch.

Sunday, Sept. 8

5th annual Litter box Rally- Sand Volleyball Tournament, Spikes Beach Bar and Grille, 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. 

Come support Lincoln’s only no-kill cat shelter with this fun and exciting volleyball tournament at Spike’s Beach Bar and Grille. Team registration is $95, and teams must have an equal number of men and women on the team. Raffles will also be offered, and prizes will be given to the first- and second-place winners. The deadline to register is Sept. 5.

43rd Annual Buffalo Run,  Pioneer Park, 8 - 11 a.m.

Hosted by Lincoln Track Club and Lincoln Running Company, this scenic, but difficult, five-mile course will test even the most experienced runners with Pioneer Park’s plethora of hills and challenging terrain. Individuals who have finished five or more Buffalo runs will receive a Buffalo Run Award Winner T-shirt if they run faster than the average of their five most recent Buffalo Runs. Tickets are available here.