Weekly Events

Art by Emma Kopplin

Monday, Sept. 30

Glenn Miller Orchestra, Lied Center for Performing Arts, 7:30 p.m.

The Swing Era star Glenn Miller lives on through the Glenn Miller Orchestra. The 18-member ensemble of vocals, clarinets, flutes, trumpets, trombones and saxophones is making a stop at the Lied Center for Performing Arts and tickets can be purchased here.

Comedy Open Mic Night, Duffy’s Tavern, 7 p.m.

Join the mix of stand-up veterans, up-and-coming comics and brand new comedians at Duffy’s Tavern Comedy Open Mic Night. Sign up starts at 7 p.m. and laughs begin at 7:30 p.m. The event is free and open to those 21+.

Tuesday, Oct. 1

Bohemian Alps with Mike Farrell, Great Plains Art Museum, 12:30 p.m.

In this free event, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Czech Komenský Club and Great Plains Art Museum present a photo exhibition of the Bohemian Alps by photographer Michael Farrell. 

John Nemeth, The Zoo Bar, 6 p.m.

Blues musician John Nemeth and his Memphis band are set to take Lincoln by storm at the Zoo Bar. The event is free, and only individuals 18+ may attend.

Wednesday, Oct. 2

College Night, Craft Axe Throwing, 7 p.m.

Every Wednesday night is College Night at Craft Axe Throwing. At $15 per hour, one can take a study break and perfect their axe throwing. College Night is walk-in only on a first come, first serve basis.

RADO with Sapien Sounds, Bodega’s Alley, 8 p.m.

Denver’s psych-rock band RADO plans to make a stop at Bodega’s Alley as part of its “Guitar to your Bar” midwestern tour. 

Thursday, Oct. 3

Will Hutchinson, Chez SoDo, 7 p.m.

Chez SoDo presents its first LIVE! In Lincoln: Thursday Night Music Series with a feature from singer-songwriter Will Hutchinson. Admission is free, and one can enjoy dinner and drinks from Chef Sean Carmichael.

Stacy Bare: Wild Spaces, Nebraska Union, 7 p.m.

UNL Outdoor Adventures presents speaker Stacy Bare. Bare is a Lincoln native who has lived an adventurous life of skiing, rafting and hiking. Through his adventures he has won multiple awards and produced an award-winning film. Bare is coming to UNL to speak on his life and career in an event that is free and open to the public.

Friday, Oct. 4

Lincoln Collects: The Steve Wake Collection, Richards Hall, 12:30 p.m.

Gallery Director Patricia Davis brings a collection of pieces from Steve Wake, a local art collector. Wake’s collection is a blend of contemporary studio glass, ceramics and sculpture, coming together to create a diverse collection. The event is free and open to the public.

Homecoming Cornstock Festival, Memorial Stadium East Plaza, 4:30 p.m.

Celebrate the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s 150th birthday at the Cornstock Festival. The five-hour event features games, food trucks and appearances by Athletic Director Bill Moos and basketball coach Fred Hoiberg. The event is free and open to the public.

Saturday, Oct. 5

Pancakes for the People, Meadowlark Coffee and Espresso, 10 a.m.

Feed the People, a Nebraska-based volunteer organization that focuses on providing food, clothes and hygiene products to those in need, presents Pancakes for the People. Join them at Meadowlark and choose from a variety of pancakes and sides for $5. The money earned will fund their food redistribution program.

Badflower with Weathers, Dead Poet Society, Bourbon Theatre, 6:30 p.m.

Los Angeles rock band Badflower heads to Lincoln with Weathers and Dead Poet Society as part of its “Ok, I’m Sick” tour. Tickets range from $18 for general admission to $89 for a VIP meet & greet.

Sunday, Oct. 6

Mingle, The Starlite Lounge, 4 p.m.

First United Methodist Church brings the first Mingle event to the Starlite Lounge. Converse with other young adults and those young at heart to the smooth rhythms of Josh Hoyer. Get to know one another while surrounded by art, food and drinks.

Shawn James, Bourbon Theatre, 7 p.m.

Indie folk singer/songwriter Shawn James makes his way to the Bourbon Theatre as part of his “The Dark & The Light” tour. Tickets can be purchased in advance for $15, or $18 at the door.