Weekly events Oct. 14-20

Monday, Oct. 14

Recess, Nebraska Union, 11 a.m. 

Big Red Resilience & Well-being is hosting Recess to help students put their well-being first while taking a break from school work. During Recess, students are able to jump rope with faculty and staff, craft a personal self-care kit and learn about campus resources all while slurping down some juice. The event is free for students.

Kill Vargas with Histrionic, The Credentials, Hail Varsity, The Bay, 7:30 p.m.

Wichita power pop band Kill Vargas is set to make its way to The Bay, in show with Lincoln’s Histrionic, The Credentials and Hail Varsity. This all ages show is $5, with tickets purchased at the door.

Tuesday, Oct. 15

Household with Salt Creek, Tigerwine, Ghostlike, The Bay, 7 p.m.

Kansas City band Household is booked for a show at The Bay. The group will be joined by Lincoln emo bands Salt Creek and Ghostlike as well as Colorado’s Tigerwine. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the door.

Get The Led Out, Rococo Theatre, 7 p.m.

Get the Led Out, a Led Zeppelin cover band will perform at the Rococo Theatre as part of its U.S. tour. Tickets range in price from $19.50 to $49 and can be purchased online through the Lied Center for Performing Arts’ website.

Wednesday, Oct. 16

Study at the Sheldon, Sheldon Museum of Art, 5 p.m.

Sheldon’s Great Hall will transform into a study hall just for students. The Sheldon will provide free snacks and The Coffee House will supply coffee. The event is free for students.

After Arizona with North By North, Knee Breaker, 1867 Bar, 8 p.m.

Lincoln’s 1867 Bar presents midwest rock band After Arizona with Chicago’s garage rock group North By North and Lincoln’s emo-pop group Knee Breaker. Doors open at 7 p.m. with the show starting at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5 at the door, with entry. The show is 21+.

Thursday, Oct. 17

Sowande Mustakeen, Nebraska Union, 5 p.m.

The African and African American Studies Program and the Institute for Ethnic Studies will bring Dr. Sowande’ Mustakeem, with her talk “Ghosts of the Atlantic: Decoding America’s Slave Trading Past.” This event is set to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the beginning of African enslavement in North America. The event is free and open to the public.

Jesmyn Ward, Sheldon Museum of Art, 7 p.m.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s English Departent’s Reading Series presents Jesmyn Ward, a two-time National Book Award-winning novelist and MacArthur Genius Fellow. As part of the series, she will read from her work, such as “Sing, Unburied, Sing,” which is to be followed by time for a book signing. The event is free and open to the public.

Friday, Oct. 18

Plant Sale, UNL East Campus Greenhouse, 12 p.m. 

UNL students will host the Plant Sale in showcase of the crops they have cultivated. One can find trees, shrubs, grasses and perennials, including many Nebraska native plants with regional seed source. Plants range in price from $2 to $20.

NE Climate Strike: Lincoln, State Capitol, 3 p.m.

Sustain UNL invites Nebraska citizens who are concerned about the Climate Crisis to ban together during this climate strike. The strike will take place on the steps of the Nebraska State Capitol every Friday until April 17, 2020. No speeches are to be prepared but signs are encouraged.

Saturday, Oct. 19

Flannel Fest, The Bay, 3 p.m.

Flannel Fest is a free, all ages event that strives to showcase local creatives. There will be live performances by local musical artists such as Lobby Boxer and Indian Caves, as well as visual art showcases from 19 artists including Abigail Ervin-Penner and Brian Lane. 

Bob Dylan and His Band, Pinnacle Bank Arena, 8 p.m.

Folk star Bob Dylan will make an appearance at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Saturday night. Tickets start at $55 and can be purchased online.

Sunday, Oct. 20

Antlerhead with Winter Wayfarer and The Credentials, Duffy’s Tavern, 6 p.m.

Indie rock band Antlerhead is set to debut its EP “Am I Dreaming” at Duffy’s Tavern. The band will be joined by Winter Wayfarer and The Credentials. Doors open at 6 p.m. and music starts at 7 p.m. For $5 at the door, people of all ages can attend the show.

Sunday Farmers’ Market, College View Ask-A-Master Gardener Table, Farmers’ Market at College View, 10 a.m. 

Professor and master gardener Terri James will give out free gardening advice as part of his Ask-a-Master Gardener Table. Instead of admiring the produce of the farmers’ market, attendees can now learn how to do it on their own.