Weekly Events Art

Monday, Jan. 13

Charley Crockett with Joshua Ray Walker, Bourbon Theatre, 8 p.m.

American Blues artist Charley Crockett makes his way to Lincoln’s Bourbon Theatre as part of his world tour. The Texas native peaked at number 10 in the US Billboard Blues Albums chart with his 2018 album “Lil G.L.'s Blue Bonanza.” Crockett’s world tour aims to celebrate “Lil G.L.'s Blue Bonanza” along with his prior releases. Tickets to the all ages show range in price from $17 to $30 and can be purchased online. Doors open at 7 p.m. with music from Joshua Ray Walker beginning at 8 p.m.

The Foundation with Swaul Pope, Storm Cellar, 9 p.m.

Storm Cellar is set to host local songwriter Swaul Pope. Swaul Pope is set to lead the jams of The Foundation, Storm Cellar’s house band, for a night of funky rock. Aside from music, Storm Cellar will also feature food catered from JuJu's Vegan Cajun and Creole Cuisine and a special drink menu. This event is 21+.

Tuesday, Jan. 14

Heuermann Lecture, Nebraska Innovation Campus Conference Center, 7-8:30 p.m.

The Heuermann Lecture series focuses on education in an effort to provide food, resource and energy security. In this session, McGill University associate professor Elena Bennett will guide listeners on natural resource management. Bennett’s Lecture, “From Planetary Boundaries to Ecosystem Services: Guiding Development on a Changing Planet,” will take place in the Nebraska Innovation Campus Conference Center and will be free and open to the public.

Dish It Up, Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center, 12-1 p.m.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Office of Academic Success and Intercultural Services provides a weekly luncheon known as Dish It Up. In the OASIS Lounge, Dish It Up will offer a space for students and staff to engage in discussion about topics affecting their lives. Water and soda will be provided, but attendees are encouraged to bring their own lunch. 

Wednesday, Jan. 15

Drop in Journal Club with Catherine Griesen, Francie & Finch Bookshop, 5:30 p.m.

Every third Wednesday of the month, Francie & Finch Bookshop hosts Journal Club. For the first meeting of the year, local artist Catherine Griese will be leading members of Journal Club through personalizing their journals. Journal Club is free to attend, and one can bring their own journal to decorate or purchase a new one.

Universal Sigh with Nick Lytle, Bodega’s Alley, 9 p.m.

On Wednesday night, Universal Sigh, the Geogian rock ‘n’ roll band, will return to Bodega’s Alley as part of their month-long tour. For $5, one can groove through a psychedelic jazz journey with Universal Sigh. Tickets can be purchased online. Doors open at 8 p.m. with music from Nick Lytle beginning at 9 p.m. The show is 21+. 

Thursday, Jan. 16

Songwriters’ Night: Open Mic, Crescent Moon, 7 p.m.

On Thursday night, Crescent Moon will house tunes from various local artists in part of the Songwriter’s Night: Open Mic event. The event is free to attend and free to participate in. Sign-up and music begins at 7.

The McGovern Stringband, Chez SoDo, 7 p.m.

As part of LIVE! In Lincoln - Thursday Night Music Series, Chez SoDo will house The McGovern Stringband. Complete with a mandolin and banjo, the acoustic americana and bluegrass group will play as attendees enjoy a meal from Chez SoDo. This event is free and open to the public.

Friday, Jan. 17

Mark Lowe, Mo Java Cafe & Roasting Co., 7 p.m.

Local singer/songwriter Mark Lowe is set to perform at Mo Java Cafe & Roasting Co. Friday night. One can slurp down a latte as he or she listens to both Lowe’s originals and covers. This event is free and open to the public.

January Art Jam, Behind the Glass Comic Art Gallery, 5 p.m.

Friday night, Behind the Glass Comic Art Gallery is set to house January Art Jam. During Art Jam, artists are invited to snack, mingle and create. Art Jams are free to attend and open to the public.

Saturday, Jan. 18

CornHacks 2020, Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts, 10 a.m.

This year’s CornHacks invites developers from across the Midwest to partake in a weekend full of competition, prizes and hacking. Hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, participants will competitively code for a full day. Afterward, they will be judged by industry professionals and awarded prizes.

Pepe’s Kitchen Pop-up Breakfast, The Coffee Roaster, 9-11 a.m.

Pepe’s Kitchen will pop up inside of The Coffee Roaster to serve up vegan and vegetarian breakfast burritos made with organic, local and fresh ingredients and served with a free cup of coffee from The Coffee Roaster. Sales start at 9 a.m. and run until supplies are gone.

Sunday, Jan. 19

Winterfest, LUX Center for the Arts, 1-4 p.m.

LUX Center for the Arts is set to host Winterfest. Attendees of Winterfest will be able to partake in an afternoon full of free hands-on crafts. There will be a variety of art projects as well as a live weaving demo. This event is free and open to the public.

The Real Zebos with PEACHIE, Duffy’s Tavern, 8 p.m.

For those 21 and up, one can spend their Sunday night at Duffy’s Tavern enjoying a free show from Omaha’s indie rock band The Real Zebos. Although there is no cover, donations are suggested. Doors open at 7 p.m. with music from Lincoln’s pop rock gang PEACHIE starting at 8 p.m.