Weekly Events

Monday, Aug. 26

Pups in the Plaza, Nebraska Innovation Campus, 11:30 a.m.

The Domesti-PUPS Program and Nebraska Innovation Campus will have an opportunity for students to meet and pet therapy dogs.The event, located in the NIC Plaza, will give students the chance to learn more about the Domesti-PUPS program. The event is free and open to the public.

Duffy’s Tavern Comedy Open Mic Night, Duffy’s Tavern, 7 p.m.

Experiencedor not, everyone is invited to join Duffy’s Tavern at its weekly comedy open mic night. The event is always free and open to the public over 21. Attendees are encouraged to sign up and participate, but all are welcome to sit and enjoy the show. Sign-ups open at 7 p.m., and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. 

Tuesday, Aug. 27

Launch Party for Fitness Court, Fitness Court, 5 p.m.

Students are invited to try out Campus Recreation and the National Fitness Campaign’s new state-of-the-art outdoor functional fitness area just east of Knoll Residential Center. Campus Recreation staff will show students how to use the new area for a full-body workout and hand out giveaway items. The space is now free and open for students to utilize.

Science Café, The Happy Raven, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Learn how forensic science and bugs come together with UNL staff who will provide a short lecture and show a video about how bugs affect crime scenes with decomposition. Because this event will be held at a craft beer bar, only people over 21 may participate. 

Wednesday, Aug. 28

Pop-Up Bookshop, NIC Mill Coffee & Bistro, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

University of Nebraska Press is hosting a Pop-Up Bookshop and Lunch at the Innovation Campus Mill. All titles are published by the UNP, and $5 paperbacks and $10 hardcovers will be sold at the event. Each purchase comes with a free Bison Books pint glass and guests can park for free in the lot north of Transformation Drive.

Club Fair, Nebraska Union Green Space, 11:15 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.

Come see what clubs the Recognized Student Organizations have to offer this year and help students become more involved with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. This exposition of extracurricular participation will take place in the green space in front of the Nebraska Union.

Thursday, Aug. 29

ISSO - Ice Cream Social, Seaton Hall Green Space, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Join the International Student and Scholar Office for free ice cream and yard games in the Seaton Hall green space. Attendees will also get the chance to meet the new Global Peer Mentors and ISSO staff. 

Welcome Back Celebration, Nebraska Union, Regency Suite, 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.

Join members of the LGBTQ community and allies to welcome back students and ring in the new school year as students develop a sense of familiarity with campus life. The event is free and accompanied by pizza, fruit, salad and water. Attendees will discuss the various LGBTQ support groups around campus including the LGBTQIA+ Resource Center, Spectrum UNL, The Change, Transform, NGOLSTP and oSTEM.

Friday, Aug. 30

Cornhusker Marching Band History Open House, Love Library South, Room 218, 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

The Cornhusker Marching Band is celebrating 140 years of tradition by hosting an Open House from 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. in room 218 of Love Library South. They are joined by the Archives & Special Collections of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Libraries to showcase footage of the Cornhusker Marching Band stretching all the way back to the early 1920s. They will also be giving a first look at the new Cornhusker Marching Band website that will provide further details about The Pride of All Nebraska and their history. The Cornhusker Marching Band director Tony Falcone and website developer Jessica Dussault, who is also a band alum, will offer remarks at 3:45 p.m. There will also be photographs, bowl game memorabilia and much more for attendees to explore.

Google Tools Training, Nebraska Union, Auditorium, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Presented by the Google News Initiative, the Society of Professional Journalists and the College of Journalism and Mass Communications, this workshop will be a resource for anyone wishing to improve their technical prowess in Google Tools. Professionals will be there to provide tips and helpful tricks to improving one’s Google skills.

Latin Night at La Cabaña, 9:30 p.m. - 2 a.m.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Mexican American Student Association will take over the Lincoln club La Cabaña for a night of dancing from 9:30 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. The back-to-school party is hosted by DJ Toons and is $5 before 10 p.m. and $10 after 10 p.m..

Saturday, Aug. 31

Shhh!: Introvert Social Hour (Summer Edition), Saro Cider, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.

Fresh Start will host a free networking event at Saro Cider from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. Attendees can enjoy a drink while supporting non-profits in the Lincoln community. Guests are encouraged to bring a book to read or a set of knitting needles for a free lesson. 

Sunday, Sept. 1

Sunday Farmers' Market @ College View, Ask-A-Master Gardener Table, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Gardeners and landscapers can come to College View Seventh Day Adventist Church on Sept. 1 to talk horticulture with experienced professionals in the field. Attendees are encouraged to bring questions to ask the professionals.

Zoolarious Presents: Carly Ballerini, The Zoo Bar, 8 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Stand-up comedian and writer Carly Ballerini is heading down from her hometown of Chicago to share her jokes with The Zoo Bar. Ballerini has written for Cards Against Humanity and opened for Cameron Esposito. Plus, the show features the special-guest comedian Jackson Fisher.