Super Bowl LIV commercials art

There are plenty of things on Super Bowl Sunday people can get excited about. There’s the game itself, wings, nachos and burgers at parties, hanging out with friends and even soaking up the pregame show hype. But even if the gridiron clash doesn’t keep people’s attention, the commercials surely will. This year’s Super Bowl ads were everything from nostalgic to side-splitting. Here are the top five commercials of Super Bowl LIV.

Tide

Sometimes, having the same product shown over and over again can cause some annoyance and overkill for people. Thankfully, Tide took a different approach to commercial repetition. 

The audience first might think that actor Charlie Day getting a stain on his shirt and being told to clean it later would be the only time he’d appear. On the contrary, Day continued popping up in random ads, such as the trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 and The Masked Singer spot, and kept asking “is it later yet?” It’s a simple joke that landed every time it came up.

Google

As one of the more emotional selections of the list, Google made an ad that got a lot of people talking. This commercial was a simple one, featuring a voiceover of an old man asking Google to remember things about his wife, Loretta, accompanied by pictures of the couple throughout their time together. The man’s desire to hold on to his memories through old age evokes tear-jerking feelings of nostalgia and loneliness. The spot is set to the instrumental of “Say Something” by A Great Big World, a tune that will cause the commercial to tug on anyone’s heartstrings.

Microsoft

The San Francisco 49ers’ offensive assistant coach Katie Sowers made history this year as the first female and openly gay person to coach in a Super Bowl. Microsoft’s commercial depicts Sowers reading a letter she wrote when she was young about how she’s always wanted to be a football coach. Sowers goes on to say that men have learned a lot of things from women such as mothers, teachers and grandmothers, and she questions why it’s so difficult to imagine a woman coaching a football team if women are capable of teaching men almost everything else. Sowers uses various Microsoft products to help with her coaching as she gives a rallying speech of feminism.

Doritos 

If Sam Elliott and Lil Nas X performing a dance-off to “Old Town Road” in a spaghetti western setting doesn’t grab people’s attention, nothing will. The dusty chip commercial even sports a surprise Billy Ray Cyrus cameo at the end. It’s understandable that the song has grown stale to some people, but the concept of the commercial itself is hilarious enough for anyone to see past the staleness and appreciate the ad’s intention. 

Rocket Mortgage

This commercial was by far the most unexpected and most surprising. The commercial shows actor Jason Momoa as he arrives at his house and discusses how his home is safe enough to let his guard down. While Momoa walks throughout his house, he takes off various prosthetics, including fake arm muscles, fake hair and even fake abs. Momoa was reduced to a short, skinny and semi-bald man who is the exact opposite of his actual appearance. The way Momoa pokes fun at himself is hilarious, and his final look will leave anyone speechless and perhaps mildly disgusted.

Honorable Mentions: 

In a light and fluffy Jeep ad, Bill Murray lives out the plot of his 1993 film “Groundhog Day,” but this time drives around in a bright orange Jeep with a groundhog companion. 

In an SNL-like ad for Hyundai, Chris Evans, John Krasinski and Rachel Dratch all ogle with Boston accents over Krasinski’s new Hyundai car and how it parks itself. 

Bud Light took a mechanical approach as the workers inside Post Malone’s head — his brain’s staff is having trouble deciding to choose between regular Bud Light or Bud Light Seltzer. 

Cheetos had MC Hammer sing his hit song “Can’t Touch This” while a guy is asked to do strenuous tasks with Cheetos dust on his hands. 

Mountain Dew, on the other hand, went a more horrific route and had Bryan Cranston reenact famous scenes from “The Shining,” but with more neon green soda.