Tom Segura's 'Take It Down' Tour Poster

During the past three weeks, the Lied Center for Performing Arts has seen two notable comedians, Lewis Black and Nick Offerman, grace its stage. On Oct. 9, Tom Segura will complete the Lied Center comedy trilogy when his “Take It Down” tour arrives in Lincoln. 

Segura is currently one of the comedy scene’s most sought-after acts, performing regularly at prominent international comedy festivals such as Montreal’s Just for Laughs Comedy Festival and The Melbourne International Comedy Festival. He starred in 2018’s “Instant Family” alongside Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne and appears periodically on comedy podcasts “The Joe Rogan Experience” and “WTF With Marc Maron.”

Segura is known for his irreverent comedic style across his three stand-up albums and three Netflix stand-up comedy specials. Matthew Boring, the associate director of marketing and patron development at the Lied Center, said the Lied Center’s staff tries to inform its audience about explicit content while not limiting the kinds of shows it presents.

“I think we definitely try to educate our audience about the artists that are coming and what their shows are about,” Boring said. “There definitely are patrons that don’t want to come to explicit shows, and we respect that and try to make them aware of that. But there’s explicit content even in some of the musicals we have, like ‘Book of Mormon’ last year. We’re not going to limit our content based on language.”

With Black, Offerman and Segura all performing at the Lied Center within a few weeks, Boring claims these acts as a testament to the blossoming Lincoln comedy scene. 

“It means a lot both for the Lied Center and the city of Lincoln as a comedy market,” he said. “Over 5,300 people will be seeing a comedy show in Lincoln in three weeks, and that doesn’t even take into account the local comedy clubs and events. We want to attract the top comedians that are touring, and this says to them, ‘Hey, the Lied Center can bring in these kinds of acts and be successful.’ It’s really exciting.”