c-themill

The Mill at Innovation Campus on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Expanding a business has its challenges.The Mill Coffee and Tea opened in 1975 with only one location in Lincoln’s Haymarket District. It wasn’t until 2001 when a second location opened in the College View neighborhood. Last year, after doubling in size, the Mill opened two additional cafés, The Mill Coffee and Bistro at Innovation Campus and The Mill Coffee at Telegraph.

To expand so much in a short amount of time can be overwhelming for a café, owner Tamara Sloan said. But it’s a process she hopes to share with the Lincoln community by hosting a question and answer session on Oct. 30 from 5:30-7:00 p.m. at The Mill’s Innovation Campus location at 2021 Transformation Dr.

“What we hope to talk about is the impact that it had, how it has gone and obviously some of the struggles that we’ve had,” Sloan said.

The Mill differs from other cafés due to its sincerity and age, Sloan said. The company first opened because there was a distinct lack of quality coffee in town.

The owners realized if office workers wanted to go somewhere to get food, or even a beverage, they had to either go to the Haymarket or further downtown. Sloan said she wanted The Mill to be close enough to the offices so workers could visit during breaks and spend some time outside of the office.

Since the café first opened, The Mill’s focus was on quality and its customers, as it aimed to keep Lincoln residents satisfied. According to Sloan, the locations that opened last year were designed with customers in mind, as well.

“The new spaces are quite large,” she said. “So people can come study or do some work so they don’t have to be stuck in the office for a couple of hours a day.”

Students who are interested in more information about The Mill’s Q&A session can find it here.

Tags