Oscar predictions 2020 photo

The film industry has debated and picked apart the nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards since they were announced on Jan. 13. With the ceremony taking place this Sunday at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, culture writers and co-hosts of The Daily Nebraskan’s “Cinebraskans” podcast Kyle Kruse, Mia Everding and David Berman give their picks for the top categories.

Best Picture: 

Nominees: “Ford v Ferrari,” “The Irishman,” “Jojo Rabbit,” “Joker,” “Little Women,” “Marriage Story,” “1917,” “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood” and “Parasite”

Mia: “Parasite” and “1917” are thought to be the top two films vying for this award, but I think the latter will emerge victorious. The film, displayed as one continuous shot throughout its entire runtime, stands apart from others nominated — something that’s necessary to win the coveted golden man. While “Parasite” made an international splash and gained quite the cult following on social media, I think the World War I flick will ultimately triumph. 

Kyle:

Will win: “1917”

Personal pick: “Parasite”

David:

Will win: “Parasite”

Personal pick: “Little Women”

Mia:

Will win: “1917”

Personal pick: “1917”

Best Director: 

Nominees: Sam Mendes, Bong Joon Ho, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese and Todd Phillips 

David: While it’s unfortunate that the Academy once again snubbed female directors — such as Greta Gerwig for “Little Women” — this category is stacked with excellent filmmakers. Except for Phillips’ unwarranted nomination for the messy, ideologically confused “Joker,” you can’t really go wrong with any of these directors. But realistically, this award will most likely come down to a battle between Joon Ho for his twisting, riveting film “Parasite” and Mendes for the amazing technical achievements of “1917.” Both men shaped wholly original, unusual films that were among the most innovative of this year’s selections, but I think Mendes will narrowly eke out the victory due to the immense, impressive scope of his film.

Kyle:

Will win: Mendes

Personal pick: Joon Ho

David:

Will win: Mendes

Personal pick: Joon Ho

Mia:

Will win: Joon Ho 

Personal pick: Mendes

Best Actor in a Leading Role: 

Nominees: Adam Driver, Joaquin Phoenix, Antonio Banderas, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonathan Pryce 

Kyle: This is probably one of the most stacked groups of nominees for any award at the Oscars this year, and yet there is a clear frontrunner in Joaquin Phoenix for his performance in “Joker.” Phoenix has been winning the award for best actor at pretty much every other major awards ceremony this year. He won the Golden Globe, the award from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, the Screen Actors Guild award and dozens of others. Honestly, I’m not that bothered by Phoenix walking away with this award, as his performance in “Joker” was nothing short of jaw-dropping, but it would be nice to see Driver or Banderas get some love.

Kyle:

Will win: Phoenix

Personal pick: Driver

David:

Will win: Phoenix

Personal pick: Driver

Mia:

Will win: Phoenix 

Personal: Driver 

Best Actress in a Leading Role:

Nominees: Cynthia Erivo, Scarlett Johansson, Saoirse Ronan, Charlize Theron and Renée Zellweger

Kyle: The list of nominees for best actress this year is chock full of actresses that gave stellar performances in their respective films. However, similarly to most of the awards this year, there is already a clear winner: Zellweger in “Judy.” Zellweger’s performance as Judy Garland in this biopic was fantastic. She has all of the momentum needed to win the award going into the ceremony on Sunday night. She has won at most of the major award ceremonies this year, and there’s really no reason to believe that her streak won’t continue at the Oscars.

Kyle:

Will win: Zellweger

Personal pick: Johansson

David:

Will win: Zellweger

Personal pick: Ronan

Mia:

Will win: Ronan

Personal pick: Ronan

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

Nominees: Brad Pitt, Joe Pesci, Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins and Al Pacino 

David: This award feels all but locked up, as Pitt has cleaned up at other ceremonies such as the Golden Globes, the SAG Awards and the BAFTA Awards. The four-time acting nominee should pick up his first acting Oscar for a standout role among a solid, though not quite transcendent, group of performances.

Kyle:

Will win: Pitt

Personal pick: Pesci

David:

Will win: Pitt

Personal pick: Pitt

Mia:

Will win: Pitt

Personal pick: Pitt

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: 

Nominees: Laura Dern, Florence Pugh, Scarlett Johansson, Kathy Bates and Margot Robbie

Mia: Although I would love to see Pugh win for her portrayal of Amy in “Little Women,” Dern will likely snatch this prize for her role in Netflix’s “Marriage Story.” Dern won the 2020 Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture, and has been strong in nearly every other recent performance. Although Pugh is riding the wave of success of 2019’s “Midsommar” and “Little Women,” I have a feeling that Dern’s more well-known status will secure her the win.

Kyle:

Will win: Dern

Personal pick: Pugh

David:

Will win: Dern

Personal pick: Pugh

Mia:

Will win: Dern

Personal pick: Pugh 

The Oscars will broadcast on ABC at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 9. For more Oscars coverage, follow The Daily Nebraskan Culture Twitter account for live reactions and updates for the biggest moments and awards from the show. Kyle, Mia and David will break down the ceremony on next week’s episode of “Cinebraskans.”