c-filmstowatchoutfor

There are only three months left in 2019, and there have already been a lot of blockbusters and critically-acclaimed films on the big-screen this year. However, there are more movies to come in 2019, some long-awaited sequels to previous films and some films that general audiences should have on their radar.

Here are five movies to anticipate for the remainder of 2019.

“Star Wars:The Rise of Skywalker”

The long awaited end to the third trilogy in the “Star Wars” franchise is arriving in theatres this winter. It’s a fair statement to say that it’s predecessor, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” divided audiences, receiving a 44% audience score with over 200,000 user ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. However, J.J. Abrams is back behind the camera for this installment. He’s a director that receives praise not only from critics but from fans alike after his last directed movie, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which received an audience score of 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. Movies in the “Star Wars” franchise are delicate —  they receive some of the highest praise and some of the harshest criticism. Audiences will find out Dec. 20 what space adventure Abrams has in store for the characters and how he decides to end this trilogy.

“Honey Boy” 

Shia LaBeouf has been one of the internet’s top memes in recent years, but other than motivating people to “just do it,” he has actually starred in a few serious movie roles. Last month, LaBeouf starred in “The Peanut Butter Falcon,” and his newest venture is a film called “Honey Boy.” The actor wrote and stars in the movie, which is actually based on his own life and relationship with his father. He began writing the movie while he was in rehab in 2017 for substance abuse. He wrote the script as a means to help him cope with unresolved conflicts he had with his family in the past. This film hits theatres Nov. 8 and already made its debut at the Sundance Film Festival back in Jan. 2019. The film received high praise from critics and it’s currently at a 100% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes.

“Knives Out”

This latest mystery film is set to make its way to theatres Nov. 27. “Knives Out” is directed by Rian Johnson who is known for directing “Looper” and “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” This movie has a cast of actors that is recognizable all around, including Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Daniel Craig, Katherine Langford and more. In this murder mystery, Craig plays a detective trying to solve the murder of a family’s patriarch. There seems to be a little bit of a comedy in the film, making “Knives Out” a refreshing change for audiences who are used to seeing these actors in more serious roles.

“Frozen 2”

It’s not an overstatement to say that “Frozen” is one of the most popular Disney movies of the last decade. Not only did the movie have memorable songs and stunning visuals, it also grossed $1.276 billion at the box office, making it the highest grossing Disney movie of all time. In “Frozen 2,” Ana, Elsa and friends journey on another adventure, traveling far from the kingdom of Arendelle. The musical fantasy is set to release on Nov. 22 and will probably have fans singing the soundtrack for the rest of 2019.

“Joker”

Many actors including Jack Nicholson, Jared Leto and Heath Ledger have tackled playing The Joker. This time, Joaquin Phoenix undertakes the role of the famous green-haired clown. Audiences usually associate the Joker with Batman, but “The Joker”, which will be released on Oct 4, is completely detached from the well-known vigilante. This movie is an in-depth character study and origin story for The Joker. We saw bits and pieces from little quips by Heath Ledger’s Joker in “The Dark Knight.” But this film is dedicated to showcasing his development from a normal guy to one of the most psychotic and sadistic villains ever depicted on the big screen. There is a lot of buzz going around for this movie, as it received Best Film at this year’s Venice Film Festival.