AMAS

The crowd applauds, welcoming Selena Gomez, as the television screen turns to black and white replicating the vulnerability behind the assumed Justin-Bieber-inspired balled “Lose You To Love Me.” Gomez quickly switched gears getting the audience on their feet for her next performance of the upbeat song “Look At Her Now.” This performance opened the 47th Annual American Music Awards that were held Nov. 24, giving recognition to the nation’s most popular artists, songs and albums of 2019. 

Eighteen performances, 30 categories and multiple nominees, ranging from Lizzo and Post Malone to Carrie Underwood and Lil Nas X, filled the room of this year’s AMAs. Ciara, the multitalented singer, dancer and model, hosted this year. She kept the audience engaged as she swapped outfits nine different times between the red carpet and her performance. 

The AMAs allow the fans to vote and ultimately decide who wins in each category, making this award show the most fan-oriented of the year. These were the biggest moments from this year’s AMAs.

The first award of the night, Best Alternative Rock Artist, was awarded to Billie Eilish, making it her first American Music Award nomination and win. She also won Best New Artist later in the night. Between winning these two awards, Eilish gave a fiery performance, singing “All the Good Girls Go to Hell,” while the whole stage broke out in flames. With the words “NO MUSIC ON A DEAD PLANET” stretched across Eilish’s chest during her performance, she attempted to portray a message on climate change corresponding with her fiery and passionate performance. 

The intended messages didn’t stop there, as Halsey had her time to shine when she accepted the Best Pop/Rock Song Award for her single “Without Me.” During her acceptance speech, she mentioned that these trophies really weren’t true validation as she grew older, leaving the audience baffled by what Halsey meant.

As the messages continued to role in, Taylor Swift made the biggest statement of the night with her success. Taylor Swift brought in six awards this year — Favorite Music Video for “You Need to Calm Down,” Favorite Pop/Rock Artist and Favorite Pop/Rock Album for “Lover,” Favorite Adult/Contemporary Artist, Artist of the Year and Artist of the Decade. In addition to accepting her awards, Swift took the stage to perform some of her greatest hits, ranging from “Shake It Off” to “Lover.” However, it was her opening outfit and her performance of “The Man” that had the audience standing in awe of her performance. Swift broke the record for most American Music Awards in her career with 29 total wins. 

Another big winner of the night was Post Malone, as he walked away with one award and the opportunity to perform with Ozzy Osbourne. Post Malone was awarded the American Music Award for Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album for “Hollywood Bleeding.” Malone held his famous cup of beer to his side while accepting his award and ended his speech on “I love grapes.” 

Later in the night, he performed “Circles,” followed by his newest single “Take What You Want” featuring Travis Scott, Watt and Osborne. Even though Malone’s performances were eye-catching, his enthusiastic dancing to Shania Twain’s medley “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” ultimately captured the most attention.

Twain closed the night at the American Music Awards with some of her greatest hits — “You’re Still the One,” “Any Man of Mine,” “That Don’t Impress Me Much” and “Man! I Feel Like a Woman.” She started her performance wearing a bright pink gown, a sequined corset and a bright pink acoustic guitar while she covered popular songs like Post Malone’s “Rockstar,” Swift’s “Shake It Off” and Drake’s “God’s Plan.” Twain, being the country legend she is, had to promote her upcoming residency in Las Vegas which she starts in March of 2020. 

Award shows are becoming more and more political with artists are using their platforms to focus on pertinent political issues, with the same sentiments heard in their songs and seen in their videos and performances. This year’s American Music Awards were all about the performances which left fans feeling empowered and enlightened on issues happening in the entertainment industry.