carrot

The transition from living at home with parents to college is often difficult for many students. One of the reasons for these growing pains is the adjustment to meal plans and dining halls.

But this transition doesn’t need to be a challenge. There are cost-effective ways to power through studying without interrupting your focus and heading to a dining hall. Listed below are three low-maintenance and healthy snacks that you can make in your dorm room.

Greek Yogurt Parfait

Perfect for the morning, a Greek yogurt parfait is a quick snack that’s easy to assemble. All you need to do is mix one cup of Greek non-fat yogurt and a cup of fruit of your choice — small berries are easy because they don’t require any slicing.

There are many health benefits to Greek yogurt, as it’s high in protein and vitamin B12 — this helps to keep the body’s nerves and blood cells active.

Most fruits, including berries, are packed with antioxidants and are low in fat and salt. Together, these two ingredients make a filling snack for just under 185 calories.

Also, with antioxidants at work, this snack also promotes mental health because it solves hunger and helps to keep you more alert — enough to power through an assignment and keep you full until the next meal.

Avocado Turkey Open-face Sandwich

The combination of turkey, avocado and a slice of bread meet together to make a great snack for the afternoon.

Avocados are full of monounsaturated fats, or in other words, healthy fats. Also, it has loads of vitamin B and vitamin E. These benefits can help support skin health and boost the immune system.

Turkey has tryptophan, which is a chemical that leads to healthy levels of serotonin, which can help promote one’s mood and alertness. This combination makes this snack perfect for getting through that mid-afternoon lull. This snack is a little heavier in caloric intake at 333 calories, but its health benefits help to balance that.

However, this snack is a little calorically heavy to eat late at night. This next snack is geared specifically for those hungry moments when studying into the wee hours.

Baby Carrots and Hummus

This snack is an ideal fuel for late-night study sessions, as it is incredibly simple and is only about 95 calories. Baby carrots and hummus are perfect for late nights for many reasons, but especially because of the large amount of energy with the small amount of calories.

Carrots contain antioxidants and vitamin A, which helps vision and the immune system, among other things. Carrots also contain fiber and many other vitamins and minerals.

Hummus also has a lot of health benefits, which include improving blood sugar, digestive health and lower heart disease risk. Together, carrots and hummus make the perfect team to keep you focused on homework and not hunger.