spring fashion

Sami Lyons poses at East Campus on April 16, 2019 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Flowers are blooming and the sun is shining, signaling the start of spring. Everyone seems happier and more excited now because of the nice weather, and because they can actually walk outside without being chilled to the bone from frigid winds. They can finally put away those heavy winter coats and bulky mittens and take their short sleeves out of hibernation.

But instead of buying all new clothes that are more suitable for warmer weather, think about using the clothes you have in your closet from winter to help you transition to springtime. You might be shocked at just how many different pieces from your winter wardrobe can be repurposed into trendy and comfortable spring outfits. Below are some tricks that can help you save money and still be super fashionable this spring.

Don’t Ditch the Oversized Sweatshirts  

Sweatshirts keep you warm and cozy in the winter, but they might be able to work in your spring closet too. If the sweatshirt is long enough, think about wearing it as a dress. This might seem a little out of the box, but dressing it up with a belt and some chunky tennis shoes will make it look intentional and stylish. I take inspiration from the oversized sweatshirt queen herself, Ariana Grande. She constantly rocks sweatshirt dresses on and off the stage, and it could be a staple piece in your spring outfit rotation. Ever want to wear a dress but not want to look too fancy? This is the perfect excuse to try out this daring and comfortable look.

Neons instead of Pastels

Pastels seem to be a staple in spring clothes and what most people think of when they think about spring fashion. But neon was one of the biggest trends this winter, and if you have neon-colored clothes, don’t shy away from wearing them this spring. Contrary to soft pastels, neons tell people you are confident, lively and trendy. If you are hesitant about wearing bright neons, try to pair a long-sleeve neon shirt with some jean shorts or a neutral-colored skirt. The balance between the two pieces will tone down the neon without taking away its vibrance.

Keep your Coats on Hand

I know that the warmer weather is taking over, and your heaviest coats are moving farther back in your closet — as they should in most cases. But not all your coats have to. Bomber jackets, leather jackets or faux fur coats can be a fun and easy way to add an interesting flare to your spring outfits. Wearing a statement jacket with a crop top, a T-shirt or a skirt will still keep you cooled off with the rising temperatures and make you look fashion-forward and chic.

A new season doesn’t have to mean a new closet. Don’t get me wrong, I love shopping for new and seasonal clothes, but that can get expensive fast. Work with what you have and push the envelope — you might be surprised with what you can accomplish with the clothes already hanging in your closet.