San Francisco Symphony

With the Omaha Symphony and Lincoln’s Symphony Orchestra performing regular concerts, Nebraskans looking for a night of professional orchestral music don’t have to search too far. And this Thursday, March 28, yet another acclaimed symphony will perform in Nebraska when the San Francisco Symphony takes the stage at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.

The San Francisco Symphony, led by legendary conductor Michael Tilson Thomas, returns to the Lied on the tail end of a national tour that consists of concerts in eight cities from March 19-29. Its program will include Mendelssohn’s “Violin Concerto in E minor” with violinist Alexander Kerr joining the symphony to perform a featured solo. The tour repertoire also encompasses Sibelius’ “Symphony No. 2 in D major” and Tilson Thomas’ “Agnegram.”

According to its website, the symphony was founded in 1911 as a response to the 1906 San Francisco fire and earthquake and quickly became a renowned institution of the city. Throughout its existence, the San Francisco Symphony has won 19 awards from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. It won the 2002 Emmy Award for Outstanding Classical Music-Dance Program and received a Peabody Award in 2007 for “The MTT Files,” an eight-part public radio series hosted by Tilson Thomas.

Tilson Thomas has been the San Francisco Symphony’s music director since 1995 and announced in 2017 that he will be stepping down in 2020, making this national tour his 14th and final with the symphony. During his tenure, the symphony has won 15 of its 16 Grammy Awards. He is also the co-founder and artistic director of the New World Symphony and Conductor Laureate of the London Symphony Orchestra.

The San Francisco Symphony will perform at the Lied Center for Performing Arts on March 28 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the Lied Center box office or on its website.