rolled ice cream

Freezing Thai Rolled Ice Cream is pictured on Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018, at 210 N. 14th St. in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Originating in Thailand, where it is considered a common dessert, rolled ice cream has been making its way around the U.S. to every major city from Brooklyn to Los Angeles. And I am more than happy about it.

Due to its highly Instagram-worthy look, rolled ice cream is one of the newest food trends, so I knew I had to try it out. If you weren’t in Lincoln over the summer and saw posts of Thai-rolled ice cream online but couldn’t try it in your town, now is your chance.

Located in the space formerly occupied by The Drift ice cream shop and a Red Mango frozen yogurt store before that, Freezing Thai Rolled Ice Cream continued with the space’s frozen treat trend and opened its doors in June.

Rolled ice cream is just what it sounds like — ice cream rolled up into little cyclones packed into a cup and topped with sweets of the customer’s choice, such as marshmallows, fruit, chocolate syrup and gummy bears.

I had seen some of my friends on Instagram post about their rolled ice cream. Generally sold for about $7 a cup, I thought it was just another one of those silly, overly expensive desserts that I didn’t want anything to do with. But when I went and watched the line employees chop and roll my ice cream, I realized this was more than just a dessert. It was art.

Freezing has 15 items on the menu, ranging from fruit-flavored options like “Mango Tango” or strawberry banana to dessert-oriented flavors like “Double Oreo” and “Miss Nilla Wafers” to more unique tastes like avocado and green tea. With just a glance at the menu, it took me about half a second to figure out which one I wanted: the most elaborate looking creation, “S’more, S’more, Galore.”

The ingredients all start separately, with the base of the ice cream still in liquid form. At this point, I was wondering how on earth they were going to pull this off. The store is set up so customers can watch their ice cream be made.

First, the employees pour the liquidized ice cream onto a surface that has dry ice underneath to keep it cold.

Next come the ingredients. Since I opted for the s’mores, graham crackers were chopped up with two paddles and smashed into the cream, which slowly appeared more and more edible. The entire freezing process takes about two minutes. Once it reached the right consistency, my mixture was flattened out on the surface, and chocolate and caramel were drizzled on top.

Then, the rolling began. The paddles were used to push strips of the ice cream, making about eight little taquito-looking shapes. They were then placed into the cup in a neat little circle with one roll in the middle.

I was amazed. And they weren’t even done yet.

Another generous drizzle of chocolate and caramel was poured on top, along with a dollop of whipped cream. Two graham crackers were jammed into the whipped cream and, as you probably guessed, more chocolate and caramel were lathered on top of that. Lastly, an adorable roasted marshmallow was stuck on to finish the masterpiece.

It almost felt wrong digging into the beautiful piece they had just created. Though it was a little weird to take a spoonful out of a rolled-up piece of ice cream, it was a dreamy experience. With every bite, the frozen crunchiness melted in my mouth, and I completely forgot that I was eating ice cream. I was, however, expecting the rolled cream to be a bit more intense, actually like a real s’more. Instead, it was more just an ordinary cream flavor.

The amount of goodness that was able to fit into the small bowl was too much for me to finish, so I would definitely recommend splitting this with someone, which also justifies the steep price a little more. Though it was about $7.50 with tax, a bowl of Thai-rolled ice cream from Freezing is the perfect “treat-yourself” splurge.