REVIEW: Quality casting can’t redeem poor writing of ‘Someone Great’

With Gina Rodriguez from “Jane the Virgin,” Brittany Snow from “Pitch Perfect” and RuPaul Charles from ”RuPaul's Drag Race” all in one film, it's no surprise that Netflix's latest romantic comedy has caught viewers’ attention. The Netflix original film “Someone Great” released on April 19, grabbing audiences with its interesting premise and well-known cast.

Jenny Young (Rodriguez) is a successful, New York-based music journalist who just received the job of her dreams working for Rolling Stone magazine. With her best friends Blair Helms (Snow) and Erin Kennedy (DeWanda Wise) supporting her new opportunity, Jenny is ready for the next step of her life. A week left before she moves to California, her boyfriend of nine years breaks up with her due to his doubt in long-distance relationships. In the midst of feeling grief over her ended relationship and farewell to New York, Jenny decides she and her friends must go to Neon Classic, a pop-up concert series, as their final hurrah.

With only a day to prepare for the concert, the girls run around New York to get everything they need. From purchasing new outfits to buying drugs from Hype (Charles), the girls want to perfect their last outing together.

Throughout the film, Jenny attempts to pull herself out of this depressive state. Despite being a successful woman who’s about to pursue her dream career, she is caught up in a guy who was unwilling to support her ambition. The film eventually addresses Jenny’s inability to move on from her ex-boyfriend, as she realizes she is significant without him. Instead of making her self-worth dependent on him, Jenny learns to love herself and be alone for the first time in almost a decade.

Throughout the film, the themes and scenes are clearly geared toward millennials. With main characters who juul and work for social media companies, the film is overdoing the image of what hip 20 to 35-year-olds are doing with their lives. This film is equivalent to the feeling one gets when a parent uses slang terms like “lit” to appear cool but ends up doing the exact opposite. This issue mainly falls on the writers and costume designers who decide to dress these mature women in crop tops and thigh-high boots.

One element this movie does well is its representative cast. With a Latina woman as its lead and a variety of characters from different ethnic backgrounds and sexualities, the film gives an accurate depiction of a big city’s population. This diverse group of characters showcases what Netflix originals have previously lacked  multiculturalism.

“Someone Great” has few features that make it stand out in the sea of romantic comedies. From its desire to be relevant to its idealization of love, this film misses the mark. However, it finds ways to redeem itself with its casting choices, both in acting experience and diversity. “Someone Great” has the potential to enthrall viewers with its well-known cast. Unfortunately, the cast’s performance could not redeem the poor writing, leaving the audience wondering what is so great about this film.