Engame

This review does NOT feature spoilers for “Avengers: Endgame.”

This review for “Avengers: Endgame” might be the most nerve-racking review I have ever written.

That’s because there is so much to talk about regarding “Endgame,” but simultaneously, we can talk about almost none of it. There are so many absolutely incredible and surprising moments in this film that you do not want to have spoiled. Going into this movie, the less you know, the better.

“Avengers: Endgame” is the perfect finale to the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Infinity Saga, which began 11 years ago with the release of “Iron Man.”

“Avengers: Endgame” is the highly anticipated 22nd film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the fourth “Avengers” film and the sequel to last year’s “Avengers: Infinity War.” That film concluded with the Avengers doing the unexpected — losing. Thanos, a mad titan with plans to wipe out half of all life, succeeded. He gathered all of the infinity stones, the gems that control different aspects of existence. He snapped his fingers and half of all life — including most of the MCU’s fan-favorite characters — was reduced to ash.

Without going into too much detail, “Endgame” follows the survivors struggling to cope with their losses. The acts of Thanos haunt them, and no matter how hard they try, they cannot move on. The remaining Avengers, mostly consisting of the original line-up from 2012’s “The Avengers,” — Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, et cetera — form a plan to undo the events of “Infinity War” and bring life back to the way it was.

When this film was first announced in October 2014, its original title was “Avengers: Infinity War Part 2.” Marvel Studios ultimately decided to change the title, but this film still serves as a second part. “Endgame” does not exist in a bubble. It is a direct follow-up and continuation of “Infinity War,” and it manages to capture the same sense of excitement, dread and anticipation found in the previous installment, even surpassing it at times.

Though the film is already the second part of a larger story, “Endgame” very much feels like two films in itself.

The first and second halves of “Endgame” are drastically different from each other. But they flow together wonderfully, and there is a notable change in quality between the two.

The first half of the film is the lesser of the two.

It is still incredibly enjoyable and features some truly outstanding moments, but it doesn’t grab the audience as much as it could’ve. The story within it is brilliant and makes audience members sit back and use their brains on more than one occasion, but as a whole, it wasn’t as gripping as several of the MCU’s previous films, such as “Infinity War” or “Captain America: Civil War.”

When the second half of “Endgame” arrives, it provides some of the most genuinely thrilling, funny, heart-wrenching and satisfying material the Marvel Cinematic Universe has offered to date.

It’s at this point in the review that I want to explain why that is, but it’s nearly impossible to do without spoilers (which I refuse to include). All I will say is this: It provides fans of the series with the payoff they have been promised after all 22 films. It is everything that a Marvel fan could possibly ask for and more. It is absolutely phenomenal.

Even with the second half of the film eclipsing the first half, I thoroughly loved “Endgame.” But there are a couple more complaints I have with it, which I will keep vague.

The way the film handles Thor is a bit hit-and-miss. At first, it works. It’s emotional, funny and makes sense with the character. But as the film goes on, it is increasingly used to comedic effect, and it honestly just gets a little annoying. I wish they had somehow done away with it halfway through, or just not included it at all.

Secondly, there is a moment in the film that directly echoes another moment from “Infinity War.” It just switches out a couple characters. While the results of this moment work and provide yet another emotional gut-punch to the audience, I wish it had been executed a bit better. There’s a couple things about it that feel like they were almost copied and pasted from “Infinity War.” 

Despite these annoying little nitpicks, “Endgame” provides the conclusion to Marvel’s Infinity Saga that we’ve all been looking for.

It is crammed with unexpected twists, amazing fan service (in a good way) and emotional moments that ensure there is not a dry eye in the audience. It is an extremely satisfying finale to this 22-film arc, yet it still manages to set up more incredibly exciting ideas for the Marvel Cinematic Universe moving forward.

“Avengers: Endgame” is everything it needed to be, and it’s everything fans wanted it to be. See this movie as soon as possible. You do not want it spoiled. When you see it, do not spoil it for somebody else. Please, just let everyone sit back and witness the film history unfolding in front of their eyes.