Peoples choice awards

The audience applauds, the lights dim and the tapes from the most popular movies, television and music begin to roll as the 45th annual People’s Choice Awards went underway. Just a few highlighted selections in this short montage include “Murder Mystery,” “Avengers: Endgame,” “Godzilla,” “This Is Us,” “Stranger Things” and the music of Billie Eilish and Lizzo. With the biggest celebrities sitting front row, it was all up to the public to vote for who or what it was that they considered their favorites in a widely-inclusive range of categories.

The People’s Choice Awards, held Nov. 10, lacked a host this year, following in the footsteps of the 2019 Emmy Awards that was held on Sept. 22. Robert Downey Jr. casually opened the show wearing a navy plaid suit, a t-shirt and sneakers. He then went on to later win the award for Best Male Movie Star for his role as “Iron Man” in “Avengers: Endgame,” which he dedicated to writer and producer Stan Lee. The show celebrated some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry by giving out three icon awards, the most revered and celebrated titles from this year’s People’s Choice Awards.

To begin the night, Kevin Hart was awarded People’s Choice Award for Best Comedic Act with “Kevin Hart: Irresponsible.”

Hart recently suffered a severe injury due to a car accident, but that didn’t stop him from showing up thankful and humbled to be on that stage.

He was welcomed by the crowd with a standing ovation when he received the first award of the night, appearing in public for the first time since his accident. During his speech, he focused on how he didn’t have to be there and thanked God that he was, noting how he appreciates life and his family more than ever, as well as the people who stuck by him during this difficult time.

Three of the biggest awards were later handed out during the night, including, People’s Champion, People’s Icon and People’s Fashion Icon. The fit candidates were honored for using their platforms for philanthropy, symbolic iconic trends and fashion sense.

The People’s Fashion Icon Award is presented to an individual who has become accomplished in the fashion industry. The accolade has been previously awarded to Victoria Beckham. Fashion designer, Jeremy Scott presented this year’s recipient to three-time Grammy Award winner Gwen Stafani.

Stefani had been seen wearing Scott’s designs on a variety of red carpets, hand-in-hand with Scott himself at previous award shows. Even though he did present her with the award, it wasn’t about him. Stefani has been a fashion icon since she struck the entertainment industry in 1995 with the band No Doubt. During Stefani’s acceptance speech, she spoke about how she’s always had a passion for fashion, and how fashion has remained a creative outlet for her.

With her adoration toward fashion, Stefani has created a variety of lifestyle brands including the fashion lines L.A.M.B., Harajuku Lovers, eyewear line GX by Gwen Stefani and Harajuku Mini for Target. This prestigious award was only one major highlight of the night, as two other significant awards were presented to actress Jennifer Aniston and singer-songwriter P!nk. 

One of these, the People’s Champion Award is presented to an individual who stands out for their philanthropic contributions to make the world a better place. This year, the public chose to honor P!nk for the award. She used the award show as a family outing, bringing her husband, Carey Hart, and two children, Willow Sage Hart and Jameson Moon Hart on the red carpet. 

During her speech, P!nk referenced many others who have made an impact in the world, such as Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela, Malala Yousafzai and Greta Thunberg. Rather than bringing up politics, she talked about how each person’s life matters and how one person can make a real difference in the world by being a decent human being. She ended her speech on a positive note by saying that it starts with people getting together with their peers to help change the world instead of continuing to fight each other.

As the awards moved along, the anticipation of the arguably biggest honor of the night, the People’s Icon, started to set in. 

The People’s Icon Award is given to a person that has become an icon within the entertainment industry through the roles they play. This year actress Jennifer Aniston accepted the award from her good friend and co-star on “Murder Mystery,” Adam Sandler. 

Sandler awarded Aniston with a speech filled with comedic anecdotes and flattering compliments toward her, praising her sparkling blue eyes and her big heart. In contrast, Aniston used sarcasm throughout her speech — adding that actors don’t do their job for each other, rather they do it for the money. 

She credited the award to the iconic role she had as Rachel Green in “Friends.” After their comedic speeches, Aniston and Sandler were later called back to the stage as they won the final award of the night for Best Comedic Movie for “Murder Mystery.”

From serious to comedic, Netflix’s heart-throb, Noah Cenineo needed the help of Sarah Hyland to walk up the stairs to receive his award.

Centineo won the award for Best Comedy Movie Star of 2019 for his role as Brooks Rattigan in “The Perfect Date.” He sported a crutch and knee brace as he limped to his award. It was hard for Centineo to wrap his head around the fact that he won, taking a couple of seconds to soak in the moment. The actor underwent knee surgery after injuring himself playing basketball, but that didn’t stop him from attending the event to receive his award. 

The People’s Choice Awards exist to let the people decide the outcomes and vote for their favorite actors and singers, as opposed to a panel of partial judges. For entertainment junkies, this show gives the power to the people who are a big part of helping celebrities achieve success in the industry. Without a fan base and connection to the audience, popular television shows and movies would become impersonal, which is why the People’s Choice Awards are an important aspect of the film and television industry.