Omaha emo band Second String

Ryan Fucinaro (left), Warren Bable (center) and Trent Anderson (right) of the band Second String pose for a portrait on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019, in Omaha, Nebraska.

Passionate bellows came from Warren Bable, the lead singer and guitarist of Second String, as he and his bandmates took the stage of the Slowdown in Omaha on the rainy August night of rock band Uh Oh’s “Stay Close” album release show.

This was Second String’s proudest moment, Bable said, as he could sense the feeling of community and togetherness among the crowd during the band’s heavy and heartfelt set.

“Community starts with the three guys that I play with,” Bable said. “It expands beyond that to the people who are at all of our shows, buying our merch and supporting us in every little thing that we do along the way. Those people mean the absolute world to me. They are the people that keep me going.”

Second String — a name that Bable said embodies feeling like second place, never really being the best but always striving to be — came to be in November 2018. The Omaha emo band was formed with the goal of making music that would bring people together to eliminate the feelings of being alone, Bable said.

Bable began playing with two of the current members of Second String, guitarist Ryan Fucinero and drummer Jesse Willet, during their time at Papillion-La Vista High School in a band called Creative Tension. However, the band broke up when Bable left for college.

After spending time apart and exploring other musical avenues, Bable said knew he wanted to continue playing with his former bandmates.

“I felt there was something special lingering there, so I took a chance on it,” Bable said. “We all did.”

After reuniting, the gang still felt as if something was missing. That’s when they invited bassist Trent Andersen to join, marking the official beginning of Second String.

“When we started playing together, I was going through a pretty rough time in my life,” Andersen said. “It’s helped me so much. It [has] given me a purpose.”

Throughout Second String’s existence, its sound has shifted. Bable said there is a constant push to create music that is true to their experiences yet different from what they have created and heard.

In each song, the band crafts a story full of emotion — good or bad — in hopes of creating a piece others will be able to relate to. Their sound ranges through genres that inspire them all, like Fucinaro’s background in classical music and Andersen’s love of late-90s punk. 

During the past year of playing together, the four have agreed that their performances should go beyond the original versions of songs they have published, Fucinaro said.

“A song should exist as a fundamental unit,” Fucinaro said. “But we can play the song differently during each show to take it beyond that. It’s almost like we are covering our own songs to create a different experience each time we play it.”

Aside from performing live and forming their own tight-knit community, the band has been working to release music.

In late August, Second String went to work to put out a single. After an exhausting 13-hour day of recording in Fucinaro’s basement and some mixing magic courtesy of Jeremy Wurst at Coyote Face Recording, the band released “Billfold” — a fast-paced, heartfelt track sung by Fucinaro.

Currently, the crew is working to release another track, “youarenowhere,” which is centered around missed opportunities. The song, set to be released in early November, is on the softer side, features hints of twinkling guitars and leans more toward the indie side of Second String not heard in “Billfold.”

With recording and performing, the members of Second String hope to create a sense of community and a safe space for their listeners.

“Music is one of those things that brings us together across lines that we might not want to cross,” Bable said. “We want people to know that it’s okay to be emotional; it’s okay to feel, and it’s okay to be just you.”