Lady and the Tramp movie

With the countless titles Disney+ recently made available, it might be hard to decide where to start watching. One of the many varied and high-profile originals recently released is the live-action remake of the classic Disney film “Lady and the Tramp,” which stars Tessa Thompson as Lady and Justin Theroux as Tramp. 

The film was surprising to say the least. Compared to the original, Disney gave the human and animal characters more background, leading to a more emotionally-charged plotline. The way the human characters treat Lady demonstrates how much the humans love and attend to their dogs.

Theroux thrives as Tramp — the bad-boy attitude in his voice makes it seem like Tramp has been through a lot. The audience learns more about Tramp’s journey to becoming a street dog and the history behind his vehement aversion to the life of a house dog. 

The story also follows Lady’s relationship with her human family more closely than the original, as well as the chaos that follows the birth of the family’s newborn baby. After getting used to having walks every day and sleeping in her humans’ bed, Lady is forced to the backyard. It’s a familiar, but heartbreaking story to watch.

While the producers of the movie could’ve used fully computer-generated dogs, they took a different route and decided to cast actual dogs as Lady and Tramp. The producers even rescued the two dog-actors, Rose and Monte, from a shelter. They also altered the racially controversial Siamese cat song by changing the cats’ breed and creating a different song entirely. This served as a beneficial alteration, as these cats seemed much more threatening than the original versions. With significantly more rowdy personalities, they caused much more damage to the house than the original twins did. 

Possibly one of the most anticipated scenes in the live-action remake is the classic spaghetti-slurping kiss scene. Could Disney pull it off with real dogs? Surprisingly, the film made it work, as the trainers were able to calculate the dogs’ movements just right to simulate the appearance of the two dogs’ noses touching. The chef and Tony, the restaurant owner, were both giddy, and the dog’s date seemed realistic enough for a child’s film as there was a feeling of romance in the air. 

Some of the characters and plots can get a little repetitive. Throughout the film, Tramp is being chased by Elliot the dogcatcher, played by Adrian Martinez. The character doesn’t seem to have an arc and pops up every 10 minutes or so like he’s just there to be there as an obstacle.

Lady and the Tramp is comparable in quality to the “Air Bud” franchise in terms of family-friendly films about anthropomorphic animals. It’s action-packed, amusing, loaded with good characters and visually stunning. Kids will surely love it, and if in the mood to have a family movie night, parents could watch it with them as well — they just might get a little bored along the way.