Shakira

The arena turned pitch black. Scattered, shimmering red and orange fireworks filled the air above the Hard Rock Stadium as twinkling armbands illuminated the inside. The beaming lights aligned on Shakira, wearing a red two-piece as she tackled the Super Bowl halftime show with her song “She Wolf.”

Jennifer Lopez and Shakira paired up as this year’s Super Bowl LIV performers, taking over Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida while the San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs took a halftime hiatus. The influential duo brought the Latina heat for their high-energy performance as they introduced special guests, danced as if their hips didn’t lie and were even visited by Lopez’s daughter.

Whether it be Janet Jackson’s 2004 iconic halftime mishap or the internet’s favorite left shark from Katy Perry’s 2015 performance, the 30 minutes given to the halftime show always makes headlines.

The selection of Lopez and Shakira was a turning point for the NFL. For the first time in Super Bowl history, two powerful Latina women headlined and executed passionate performances.   

The multifaceted, bilingual star Shakira performed a medley of “Waka Waka,” “Whenever, Wherever” and “Empire” before handing the show over to Lopez. Gasping fans were seen on camera as Shakira surfed the crowd, strummed the guitar, pounded the drums and belly danced between Mariachi horns.

Puerto Rican Latin trap and reggaeton singer Bad Bunny joined Shakira as they performed “I Like It Like That” together. Shakira also incorporated a variety of inspirations from Brazil, Colombia and Mexico, even adding a snippet of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir.” 

Lopez didn’t disappoint — unlike Maroon 5’s generic performance last year — as she incorporated a wardrobe change and pole dance routine. Lopez opened her performance with her award-winning song “Jenny From the Block.” Her props allowed for a more striking performance than Shakira’s featuring a miniature Empire State Building and a stripper pole.

The highlights of the show were the former Fly Girl’s fancy moves and the introduction of her daughter into the performance. Emme, Lopez’s 11-year-old daughter, joined her mom to sing “Let’s Get Loud.” As the whirlwind set hit the home stretch, the two powerful Latinas looked like a couple of rock stars, complete with hair flying in the air. The famous joyous hip shake concluded the show as both Shakira and Lopez brought a moment of relief from the intense game.

The spirited performers transformed the stadium into a huge dance party and executed one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows of all time. Their high energy and incredibly athletic and flexible figures received a well-deserved standing ovation. Every year the halftime show outdoes itself with performers, so Super Bowl fanatics will have to wait another year to see an outrageous performance again.