"5 Tips to Help Introverted College Students Be More Social" - Art

When one creates a mental image of college, it usually includes crowded football games, large campus events and supposedly fun, outrageous parties. While this may be appealing to some, that sentiment is not universal. Plenty of students think there could be nothing worse than these extroverted activities. Although alone time is important, letting it take up the majority of your life can lead to isolation from not only people, but also opportunity. Before resorting to the temptations of solitude, introverted college students should give sociality a try.

Don’t overexert yourself 

The worst thing a new college introvert can do is go out too much and overdo it. If, right off the bat, you attend all available events, meet tons of new people and continue to act overly extroverted even though you don’t like it, a negative connotation will be associated with going out. 

Attend activities you find interesting

Instead of forcing yourself to go out to a wild “rager,” try attending events that are more geared toward your interests. If you’re not interested in the rowdy atmosphere of football games, try going to book clubs or events that suit your personal interests. One great way to socialize  as an introverted college student is to attend poetry readings, live music and other such events at Crescent Moon Coffee. These events are held every Thursday evening at 7 p.m. and are sociable without being overwhelming. 

Make an effort to try new things

Although it may be tempting, spending all of your time alone will not only get old fast, but it can also limit you in meeting new people and trying new things. By enabling yourself to remain in solitude all of the time, you’re holding yourself back from experiences you may really appreciate. 

Visit quiet study places around campus instead of studying at home

Every student needs to study, but that doesn’t mean you have to stay at home to do it. Try studying in the library or at a coffee shop. These small excursions may even help you break out of your bubble and make it easier to go to larger events. By easing yourself into it, you can become more comfortable in social environments without the pressure of intense interactions or participation in a group activity. 

Don’t let skepticism limit you

One of the most detrimental things you can do when deciding whether or not to try something new is to let your doubts control your actions. Even if you don’t think going out will be fun or if you hate the idea of talking with new people, you open yourself to new opportunities by opening your mind and pushing through your comfort zone. Instead of dwelling on your doubts, focus your thoughts on the positive outcomes that could come from going out more or spending less time alone.