c-women

There was a lot of content on Netflix to watch this summer, from the much anticipated and thrilling new season of “Stranger Things” to the movie “Murder Mystery,” a comedy starring Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. Netflix was also busy promoting girl power this summer by embracing women for who they are and what they may be going through, as seen in the April 2019 film, “Someone Great.”

“Someone Great” is based in New York City, where the main character Jenny lives. Jenny lands her dream job as a journalist at Rolling Stone in San Francisco. She has been dating her New York-based boyfriend for nine years, but, in a bittersweet turn of events, her boyfriend decides to call it quits instead of pursuing a long-distance relationship. To pick up the pieces of her broken heart, Jenny decides to have an unforgettable last night in The Big Apple with her two best friends Erin and Blair. It’s a story of love, romance, friendship and learning to let go and enter adulthood. “Someone Great” was one of those inspiring women-empowered movies, and it taught me five major lessons for someone entering her 20s.

Don’t let anyone or anything hold you back from your dreams

Life tests us all the time, whether that be in small or large situations, and it will keep testing us to see how serious we are about pursuing a particular path. I’ve always known that there will be people who deter us and act as obstacles that get in our way. The key is to recognize what’s really holding you back — only then can you overcome it. This movie proved to me that it’s the choices we make that hold us back from ultimately going after our dreams.

Take your time growing up

Even though I’m in the early stages of my 20s, I’ve learned this decade is for growing and making mistakes, but you should also have fun doing so. I think society expects people to grow up too fast. The expectations of getting a real job early on and moving out of our parents’ house are the first steps to adulthood. “Someone Great” taught me that it’s okay if we wait until our late 20s to early 30s to let adulthood really start and for the realization of lost youth to set in.

Learn from what you’ve lost

It’s painful to lose someone or something, but it’s a bigger picture than just loss. People can spiral downward after deprivation, but it’s the people and opportunities that show up when you’re getting through dark times that make the difference. It’s the people with you through those hard times who make you focus on what you have in the present.

You don’t need a man to be happy

A man shouldn’t be the only thing that makes a woman happy. I’m not against men or relationships at all, but I think it’s important for women to find happiness on their own, too. This film showed me that women can be breadwinners and have dreams of their own in their relationship. “Someone Great” encourages women to choose a career they want to pursue without needing a man to be the provider. Women can have any job they want without a man financially supporting them.  

Ultimately, people change

It’s hard to believe people change, whether that be for the better or worse. People changing often has a negative aspect strung to it, but change can be positive and work for the better in people's lives. It’s a myth that people don’t change because there are constant obstacles in relationships and in life that come up every day. Changing to accommodate your hopes and dreams can be a positive way to filter out people who have been holding you back or who don’t accept the changes you’ve made to yourself.