Online Shopping

If you have a shopping addiction like me, it’s almost a natural instinct to browse stores when you have free time. But getting out of bed and leaving the house to shop when it is cold and snowy is a hassle, and frankly, doesn't seem worth it.

That’s where online shopping comes in.

It can be a saving grace when it comes to needing specific clothes for an upcoming event. And if you don’t have time to go to the store, which most students can relate to, online shopping is the perfect solution. Here are some tips to help your online shopping experience be the best it can be.

1. Always look for online sales

The majority of the time, online stores have promotions like buy one, get one offers, free shipping or small percentages off your first purchase. Making sure you know about these sales is easy. All you have to do is sign up for store emails to get notified when they start and end. I know these sites can be annoying when it comes to spamming your inbox, but my advice is to make an email account specifically for online site subscriptions because it will make your online shopping experience much better. It is also an easy way to keep all of the discounts in one spot so you’re not constantly looking through other important emails to find the current deals going on.

2. Check the sizing

When shopping online, it can be hard to find reassurance that what you buy will fit you the way you want it to. You usually see a picture of the garment on the model, but that doesn’t really help considering the proportions might be off. Not all of us are that tall and lean. But on most sites, there is a size guide in the description to help you out. Make sure you know your own waist, hips and bust measurements before online shopping so you can use the chart to its full advantage and purchase the size that will fit you best.

3. Leave items in your cart

Putting items in your cart but not buying them right away can actually be more beneficial than you might think. Not only does this help you avoid impulsive buys, but it can also make the website’s customer service team reach out to you and ask why you haven’t completed your purchase. This outreach often leads to them offering you some sort of discount in order to go through with your transaction. So the next time you want to proceed to the checkout page, sleep on it first and see if a discount comes your way.

4. Look at the product reviews

The last problem customers want to encounter is when an item they buy online isn’t what they originally thought it was. This is why it is crucial you look at other customer reviews of the garment. The comments section can shine a light on a problem you might face. For example, you might find out that the dress you’ve been pining after runs too short or a blouse you want tends to be too see-through. You can’t always trust the pictures the site gives you, so your best bet is listening to other customers who have already bought the piece.