Brian Regan

He was David Letterman’s most frequent comedic visitor, referred to by Vanity Fair as “the funniest stand-up alive." He will soon stand center stage, facing another audience in his nearly 40-year career delivering the gift of laughter through clean comedy on the Lied Center for Performing Arts’ main stage.

Brian Regan is relished by a wide range of audiences for his family-friendly sets and theatrical style of comedy. His high-energy routines and humorous personal anecdotes that once echoed off the walls of Radio City Music Hall in New York City are set to steal the laughter of Lincoln natives on Nov. 18.

Regan is making his Lied Center appearance as part of his U.S. 2019-2020 comedy tour to promote his newest Netflix special, “Stand Up and Away! With Brian Regan,” which premiered in December 2018. The special stands beside other favorites on the list such as “Nunchucks and Flamethrowers,” “Brian Regan: Live from Radio City Music Hall” and numerous other comedy specials released over the years.

Bill Stephan, executive director at the Lied, said Regan is the only clean comedian scheduled to perform in this season’s line-up and was an easy choice considering his popularity among Lincoln citizens. Stephan saw the comedian’s reputation on full display when Regan entertained a sold-out Lied audience during his last Lincoln performance in December 2016.

“Regan is one of the Lied Center’s favorite comedians,” Stephan said. “We selected him to be part of our curated season because he is so entertaining and for his family-friendly content. It is always nice to have programs that appeal to all ages and backgrounds.”

Stephan said he expects this year’s 7:30 p.m. show to leave a strong impression on the audience’s minds and smile-cemented faces.

The permanent grins for spectators of Regan’s shows are a result of his zany comedic style, Stephan said, which quickly jumps from dynamic methods of storytelling to physical comedy that incorporates his entire body. Regan often utilizes wacky facial expressions, impressions and body movements into his performances to leave the audience howling. 

“[Regan] is a master comedian,” Stephan said. “I have seen him twice in the past and both shows were two of my favorite comedy experiences … [Regan] will make your face hurt from laughing.”

The Lied Center’s Associate Director of Marketing Matthew Boring advises students to purchase tickets on the Lied Center website before the show sells out. UNL students can laugh alongside other Regan fans for half the price of a regular admission ticket.

Boring said the night, which is perfect for a date night or evening out with friends, will be a memorable occasion for any Lincolnite.

“It’s a rare night where you can come, have a laugh and see something really funny on stage,” Boring said. “It’s a huge gift for Lincoln, Nebraska to have Regan performing at the Lied Center.”