FashionNO

Trends come in and go out of fashion every season, and they spread fast. Trends can be new and never seen before, or they can come back into style from years past. For example, high fashion and street-style trends are pulling heavy inspiration from the 1990s with items like platform shoes and fanny packs coming back into style.

Some comeback trends are youthful and fun, like tube tops and mom jeans, and I am totally in favor of them. But there are some trends making a comeback that I think were bad enough in the good old days, and that’s where they should stay.

Low-rise Jeans

When I first think of low-rise jeans, I automatically picture Britney Spears’ iconic low-rise jean concert look. But even though it was epic then, it should not be a trend now. These jeans do the exact opposite of what we want clothes to do for our body. Clothes should lengthen our legs and slim our bodies, but these jeans shorten our legs and lengthen the torso. I am forever grateful that high-rise and high-waisted jeans are the trend right now, and I hope that low-rise denim stays in the ‘90s forever.

Chokers

Chokers tend to get stuck in my hair, feel more uncomfortable the longer I wear them and sometimes break while I wear them. While some might want a cute and simple accessory to top off their look, there are other and more convenient ways of doing so. Try adding a cute headband or some minimalistic rings to add some extra style to your look. These will be more comfortable than chokers while still being in trend and will help pull your outfit together.

Camo

This is probably the trend that I don’t want to come back the most, and I know it is pretty popular nowadays, but it doesn’t work for me. I know many popular stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe have been selling garments like skirts, jackets and dresses in camo, and I just can’t get behind it. This print was made for easy camouflage while hunting, and that should be the extent of where we see it.

Padded Shoulders

A few days ago, I saw some mini dresses at the mall, and I thought they were perfect for my upcoming formal — until I realized they had shoulder pads. This ruined the whole dress for me, and I couldn’t bring myself to even try it on because they make your frame appear wider and are just uncomfortable. Shoulder pads were one of the biggest trends in the ‘80s, and I hope they don’t spread much further than they already have.

When it comes to fashion, trends drive what we want and what we spend most of our money on. Even the leggings you wear to class everyday are part of the trends in fashion right now. Whether you realize it or not, trends are what we base our style off of. While most trends in the last few years have been adopted in the fashion industry, not all trends from fashion’s past should make a comeback.