c-hsm

On Aug. 23, Disney’s streaming platform Disney+ released the trailer for its new series, “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series,” nearly 11 years after the third and final “High School Musical” release. The Daily Nebraskan’s staff, consisting of original “High School Musical” fans, shares its opinion on the “Glee”-esque revival of the Disney franchise. 

Mark Champion, senior culture editor

Why does this look not terrible? I really can’t say. The premise seems pretty hilarious, and I can see the story going well. That being said, I can also see the story going terribly. That being said, I’ve never seen High School Musical. So, maybe I’m not allowed to say anything.

David Berman, culture reporter

Have we all jumped into a time machine and gone back to the mid-2000s? All of a sudden, I can turn on the radio and hear the Jonas Brothers and soon watch reboots of “Blue’s Clues,” “Lizzie McGuire” and now “High School Musical.” What’s next? Are my sneakers going to start lighting up every time I take a step?

Acknowledging that the time machine scenario is unlikely, the next most plausible explanation is that our generation has reached the point where we are the target of corporate-driven nostalgia. Entertainment conglomerates (primarily Disney) are using our collective nostalgia for the good old days of Uncrustables and Pillow Pets to repackage something old and present it back to us Gen-Zers to turn a profit.

And am I going to stand for this obvious effort to take my hard-earned money? Absolutely I am. Please, Disney, just take my money already because this looks spectacular. Whether it’s more spectacularly brilliant or spectacularly awful remains to be seen (my hunch is the latter), but either way, this part-“Glee,” part-“HSM,” part surprisingly accurate take on the high school theater world will have me glued to my computer screen when it drops on Nov. 12.

Audrey Hertel, assistant culture editor

When I was in elementary school, I owned “High School Musical”-themed everything including two lunchboxes, a sleeping bag, three T-shirts and one set of Tupperware. I was quite literally obsessed, but I was proud of it. My friends and I used to have watch parties everytime a new movie would air on Disney Channel. Even though “High School Musical” shaped almost the entirety of my childhood, after the release of “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” in 2008, I buried that part of me, so it would never be dug up again. When I heard there was going to be a “High School Musical” series, I felt the tugging of childhood nostalgia as I saw the red and white colors of East High come across my screen. But, as to whether or not my pals and I will have a get together on Nov. 12 to watch the new series, I doubt it because the storyline screams, “Unoriginality.” It seems as though Disney keeps regurgitating the same content over and over again, and this time “High School Musical” is its vehicle to do so. Sure, the trailer depicts a different story arc, but it’s still a series where the main plot revolves around “High School Musical,” so how original can it get?  

Ally Sargus, managing editor

I applaud Disney for stepping back into the spotlight with the creation of its own streaming service, Disney+. However, I am not impressed with the content that will appear on this new platform, such as the “High School Musical” docu-style series. The original movie from 2006 included adventure, emotion and impeccable talent –– all of which the new series seems to lack. 

It will be extremely difficult for these young actors to surpass Ashley Tisdale, Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron in terms of acting and vocals. Any television remake is hard to succeed in; however, the stakes are much higher when it comes to an early 2000s staple. The trailer for this new series fails at embodying the emotional connections between characters, which was an easy task for the original films. 

Despite my criticism of this docu-style series, I think Disney is heading in the right direction with this video on-demand service. I just wish the mass media company would produce new and original content rather than attempt to reproduce popularized content from the past.