grammys 2020

Jan. 26, 2020, marked the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards held in Los Angeles at the long-time Laker’s home of the Staples Center. Grammy host Alicia Keys addressed the audience saying, "We're literally standing here heartbroken in the house that Kobe Bryant built.”

Aside from paying tribute to Bryant and Nipsey Hussle, the event honored a variety of music genres like country, rap, pop, rock and jazz. From big winners to emotional and heart-wrenching performances, the Grammys brought together a diverse group of artists.

The biggest winner of the night was Billie Eilish. The singer-songwriter swept up awards for best new artist, record of the year for “Bad Guy,” song of the year for “Bad Guy” and album of the year, the final award of the night, for “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” At 18 years old, Eilish made history as the youngest person to win album of the year. 

Eilish kept it simple and pure in her performance of “When the party's over” featuring her brother, Finneas O’Connell, who also won a Grammy for producer of the year. As Eilish and O’Connell continued to win, the emotion continued to build, leading up to Demi Lovato’s comeback performance.

Lovato took the stage, almost two years after her last Grammy performance, with a heavy heart and teary eyes. She performed her newly released song “Anyone,” a song she wrote four days before her overdose, barely making it through the first couple words before having to start over again. The touching and emotional performance was a big moment and a way to welcome her back at the beginning of a new decade. Lovato’s return became the No. 1 tweeted moment of the night.

For the second year in a row, Alicia Keys hosted the Grammy Awards. She seamlessly pulled the show together after Bryant’s sudden death and Taylor Swift’s cancelation of her unannounced performance.

After her inspirational and somber opening monologue, the 15-time Grammy Award winner took to the piano to serenade the audience. As the night went on, she performed her newest song “Underdog” alongside Brittany Howard, and she continued to spread the themes of music and love. 

DJ Khaled, John Legend and Meek Mill paid the love forward in their tribute performance to Nipsey Hussle. The song was John Legend and DJ Khaled’s “Higher,” and they subbed in a clip of Hussle during Kahled’s verse. The performance featured some of Hussle’s collaborators and respected hip-hop, rhythm and blues and gospel figures such as Roddy Ricch, YG, Kirk Franklin and more. There was a standing ovation from the audience resulting from the final side-by-side photo of Bryant and Hussle. The performance was handled beautifully and authentically, and the song ended up winning the Grammy for best rap/sung performance.

The Grammys represent the music business celebrating both new and established artists. The awards ceremony feeds the masses of music lovers, honoring the arts and the artists for what they have created. This year’s winners and performers proved that the Grammys are enriched in diversity and will continue to celebrate talented artists.

This article was modified at 7:35 p.m. on Jan. 29 to correct the song title that Eilish performed.