SAGS courtesy

From the red carpet to inside the Shrine Auditorium of Los Angeles, celebrities made their way to the 26th Screen Actors Guild Awards — a hostless award ceremony that celebrates acting in movies, commercials, video games, television and other forms of media. Of the 76 nominees this year, only 16 were rewarded with the teal, nude male statuette, The Actor. The SAG Awards serve as a small preview for the Oscars, as SAG Award winners aid in Academy Awards predictions. To help form those predictions, here are the biggest winners of the night.

To begin the night, the father-son duo from “Schitt’s Creek,” Eugene and Dan Levy, took the stage. After a comedic dialogue, the two presented the award for outstanding performance by a male actor in a comedy series to Tony Shalhoub. Shalhoub accepted the award for his role as Abe Weissman in “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.”

This Amazon Prime Video series also won the award for outstanding performance by an ensemble in a comedy series, beating out “Fleabag,” which brought home 41 awards out of 48 nominations throughout 2019 and 2020. Alex Borstein, who plays Susie Myerson in “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” was so shocked “Fleabag” lost she took the mic saying, “I voted for ‘Fleabag.’ This is really weird.” As the night continued, so did the surprising winners and famous reunions.

Brad Pitt won for outstanding performance by a male actor in a supporting role for playing Cliff Booth in “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood.” He thanked the cast and the director, Quentin Tarantino, but it was Pitt’s run-in with his ex-wife Jennifer Aniston that gained the internet’s attention. Pitt made news in a photo when he held Aniston’s wrist after seeing each other for the first time in public since their breakup.

Jennifer Aniston was up for one nomination at Sunday’s ceremony and took home a win. “The Morning Show” made waves with multiple nominations at the Golden Globes and the Critics’ Choice Awards, but had yet to win anything on all fronts. Aniston broke the losing streak, winning the SAG Award for outstanding performance by a female actor in a drama series as Alex Levy. Aniston had tears in her eyes as she looked genuinely shocked to be winning the award over Olivia Colman who won the Golden Globe Award for best actress in a television series drama award over Aniston in 2019. Also, this was Aniston’s first SAG Award since 1996 when she won best TV comedy ensemble with the cast of “Friends.” 

Aside from Aniston’s shocking win, the recipient of the Life Achievement Award was much to be expected. Robert De Niro earned the Life Achievement Award for his many years of acting on screen. He was presented the award by former co-star, Leonardo DiCaprio, who played De Niro’s stepson in the 1993 movie “This Boy’s Life.” His speech consisted of praising the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, a performer’s union, then quickly diving into politics within American society as well as in the community of actors. As De Niro shamed abusive power, the SAG Awards embraced inclusivity with its diverse nominees and winners. 

“Parasite,” based and spoken in Korean, broke a record as a foreign-language film. Before winning, the cast of “Parasite” received a standing ovation as they introduced a trailer of their movie. Together, they beat out “Bombshell,” “The Irishman,” “Jojo Rabbit” and “Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood,” and received a SAG Award for the best performance by a cast in a motion picture. 

The SAG Awards is the only awards ceremony to honor all film, television, video games, commercials, radio and other forms of media. While the SAG Awards stand alone in its celebration of diverse media, the awards presented may help to paint a picture of how this year’s Academy Awards may look.