Green leads NU romp of K-State

Game day notebook

Same two teams. Same old story.

Kansas State and Nebraska seem to be performing from the same script they have read during all of Bill Snyder's tenure as the KSU coach.

Story line: The Wildcats come to Lincoln and can't get the ground attack going, so they rely on their passing game to put points on the board. Meanwhile, the Cornhusker offense powers its way to victory with a solid rushing game.

"I've been at Kansas State for nine years and I've been up here five of those nine years," Snyder said. "It hasn't been any different."

Third-ranked Nebraska took down 17th-ranked Kansas State 56-26 Saturday, marking the Huskers' 29th consecutive victory over the Wildcats.

In three games prior to its trip to Lincoln, Kansas State had rushed for 804 yards, averaging 5.3 yards per carry. But against the Husker defense, the Wildcat ground game sputtered.

Through the first three quarters, KSU rushed 30 times for 30 yards. In the fourth quarter, primarily against Nebraska's second- and third-team defense, the Wildcats scrambled for 68 yards, upping their team total to 98. In the previous three meetings, Kansas State had rushed for minus-1 yards against the Huskers.

"I didn't think we'd come down here and run the ball up and down the field," Snyder said. "I'm smarter than that. But I thought we'd do a little better than what we did. We were very inconsistent. It was not near what we had hoped for."

First-year quarterback Michael Bishop, a transfer from Blinn (Texas) Junior College, lost his first game since high school. But he didn't go down without a fight.

The junior led his team to three of its four touchdowns in the final 18 minutes. Bishop finished with 162 yards passing and 14 yards on the ground, including a four-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter and the two-point conversion.

"He was very competitive," Snyder said. "If you paid attention, you realized that was important to him - and I love that in a quarterback, and I like that in him."

But after Kansas State's first scoring drive in the first quarter, Bishop said, the competitiveness of the Wildcat sideline took a significant drop.

"Everybody was hyped up, and then all of a sudden it just went downhill," Bishop said. "I felt like sometimes our players gave up. Nebraska was just shoving it down their throat and they were just taking it."

The Huskers took advantage of two Wildcat interceptions - Bishop's first of the season - scoring as a result of both. KSU also fumbled a punt and allowed Bishop to be sacked twice.

"They capitalized on us," junior right tackle Ryan Young said. "They don't make mistakes and we did."

But in the end, Snyder said, he was happy his team didn't give up.

"When you're getting hammered pretty good like that, you have to find the character of your football team," Snyder said. "This is a long season. We have a lot of games ahead of us. If we're going to stop competing in the fourth quarter this ball game, then think of what would happen down the road."