WACO, Texas â€" When it was all over, Nebraska didn't come close to answering all the questions that surrounded it in its first road game of the season.

However, the Cornhuskers were able to answer the biggest one of them all.

With a 23-14 win over Baylor on Saturday, the Huskers proved they were capable not only of winning away from Memorial Stadium, but that they could control the entire game in the process.

Through a mixture of stingy defense, timely passing and a bruising running game, the Huskers were able to pick up their first road win in more than 13 months and move to within a game of becoming bowl-eligible.

"I'm really proud of our guys," NU Coach Bill Callahan said. "It's great that we could get in a situation where we had to overcome some adversity. We did a great job answering to the challenge."

After the Bears jumped out to a 7-0 lead on a 14-play, 81-yard drive to open the game, Nebraska steadily established itself on both sides of the ball to score 20 unanswered points and take full control of the game.

While senior I-back Cory Ross led the team with just 93 yards, the Huskers ran the ball 51 times and gained a team total of 182 yards.

Along with racking up 25 first downs â€" nine more than Baylor â€" and going a perfect 3-3 on fourth down conversions, the Husker offense also held the ball for nearly 16 more minutes than the Bears and ran a season-high 83 plays.

Above all else, though, the Huskers' defense may have played the biggest role in NU's first road win since Pittsburgh last season.

Following Baylor's seven-minute scoring drive on its opening drive, the Blackshirts essentially shut down the Bears' offense for the rest of the game.

With just 253 total yards the Bears were unable to establish any kind of consistent offensive.

Outside of a 52-yard pass from Baylor quarterback Shawn Bell to wide receiver Trent Shelton that resulted in a touchdown midway through the third quarter, the Bears managed just 90 yards of total offense in the second half.

"We talked about how they were going to throw everything at us right away and that we were going to have to take our lumps early on," sophomore linebacker Corey McKeon said. "After that first drive, we knew we were going to give it right back to them. That's what we did."

While the defense was able to keep the Bears' offense in check, NU was able to put up points when it needed to provide a cushion on the scoreboard.

The Huskers gave truth to the claim that the West Coast offense revolves around balance, rushing for 182 yards and passing for 168.

The Bears, on the other hand, were forced to rely heavily on their passing game when the Blackshirts all but eliminated Baylor's running game as a factor, holding them to just 51 yards rushing.

As it turned out, the Bears didn't have much better luck throwing the ball either.

Bell, who completed 6-8 passes for 62 yards and scampered five yards for the Bears' touchdown to open the game, finished the half with just five more completions for 60 yards and was sacked three times.

Maybe more importantly, the Huskers held the Bears to just 19 plays in the first half following the game's opening drive.

"(The first drive) was just a few mistakes on our part," NU Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said. "We were able to make some adjustments and get pressure from our front four. I believe we can get pressure against anybody. Even more importantly, they think that, too."

As the Huskers prepare for their second away game of the season next week against Missouri, they now have experience of the challenges of what it takes to win on the road.

While statistically it may seem that Saturday's performance wasn't one of their better efforts, it was clear that the Huskers were in control for the final 52 minutes of the game.

"This was a good performance for us," McKeon said. "We graded out great in my opinion. We played great, and that's all you can ask for."